Found a winged ant in my bathroom on my toiletpaper roll.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

IowaAntMan

Found a winged ant in my bathroom on my toiletpaper roll.

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:18 am

Just wondering if anyone has an idea on what i could have found. Im in eastern Iowa right on the Illinois border. Last night i was in the bathroom and seen a small insect crawling on a toilet paper roll. I looked closer and gasp it was a winged ant, but this time i year? This queen is very small im saying maybe 2mm. She still has her wings and she is black. I dont think she is fertile, but we ill find out in the coming days. Im just curious as we are going through a major flood one the Mississippi in my area, if that would potentially push her out of the nest early, but she is the only one i seen. As i live on a hill with no possibility of the flood affecting me if the local weather has anything to do with what seems to be a early flight. We also just had one of our coldest and rainiest winters and are last freeze was just a week or two ago. Sorry i know this was long with a lot of questions but im a curious person :)

king12345

Re: Found a winged ant in my bathroom on my toiletpaper roll.

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:29 am

Get a photo if you can

IowaAntMan

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:37 am

Ill do what i can, but the only camera i have is my phone and its not the best.

IowaAntMan

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 am

https://imgur.com/F34KXaQ
https://imgur.com/ClyN9vP

These are the best i can do im sorry, she kept moving around and my phone is going on 6 years old so my auto focus is not what it used to be. also i was not expecting this so i had no test tubes, i will be picking some up in the next day or so. She is very small, my only guess would be Tapinoma but thats just because i see them every where here, and they invaded my house last year. I would say she is only about twice the size of the foragers and they are maybe 1 to 1 1/2mm