Fresh Caught Queen, March 20th, Kent, Washington, USA | Identification Assistance Requested

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

PacificAntMan

Fresh Caught Queen, March 20th, Kent, Washington, USA | Identification Assistance Requested

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:06 pm

I'd like some help identifying this freshly caught queen.

My hands were a bit shaky, and she wouldn't sit still in her tube while the camera was on, but I can keep trying if you need better images.
  • I acquired her March 20th, around 11:00~ AM in my backyard.
  • Found her with a male mounted atop a dandelion about a half meter from the house.
  • I live in Kent, Washington, USA.
  • She is roughly 6.35 mm long.
  • I've caught her a few times seemingly chewing at or adjusting the cotton cap of her test tube with her mandibles.
  • She's currently wandering and feeling around the cap as I type this, though I did just transfer her to a standard AC test tube setup a few minutes ago, previously I had jury-rigged an old Backyard Safari tube for her containment, utilizing crumpled gauze pads instead of cotton balls as I didn't have any on hand at the time of her capture, with some duct tape around the bottom half of the tube to better keep the water from leaking out the bottom of the BYS cap.
  • Her exoskeleton seems to have a somewhat green hue to the light that reflects off her, but is otherwise black.
Any additional images or information you might need, I should be capable of providing.
Lorraine Anderson wrote:"Nature has been for me, for as long as I remember, a source of solace, inspiration, adventure, and delight; a home, a teacher, a companion."

moodery

Re: Fresh Caught Queen, March 20th, Kent, Washington, USA | Identification Assistance Requested

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:01 pm

it looks like a wasp from the antennae but definitely need better pictures
keeping
1x Solenopsis molesta i think 10-20 workers
1x Camponotus pennsylvanicus/formosensis 2 worker
1x Formica pallidefulva 7 workers

PacificAntMan

Re: Fresh Caught Queen, March 20th, Kent, Washington, USA | Identification Assistance Requested

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:37 pm

Second attempt at photography of the critter.

Will these suffice, or do I need better lighting?
Lorraine Anderson wrote:"Nature has been for me, for as long as I remember, a source of solace, inspiration, adventure, and delight; a home, a teacher, a companion."

moodery

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:38 pm

I'm kinda stumped the closest id i can give is that it could be Dorymyrmex insanus as it is 6mm and looks to be correct but to confirm look for a single spike(cant remember how to spell actual word) in between the thorax and abdomen.
better pictures would be helpful but if it is the quality of your camera then thats about the best i can give.
keeping
1x Solenopsis molesta i think 10-20 workers
1x Camponotus pennsylvanicus/formosensis 2 worker
1x Formica pallidefulva 7 workers

PacificAntMan

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:47 pm

Unfortunately, it seems I don't actually have a queen ant here. I just got a positive ID as a genus Ceratina carpenter bee from a friend of mine who's with the Burke Museum. I guess it's back to the trails to find a queen of the ant variety for me. :(

At least I know there's mass volumes of Tetramorium ants around my home. Hopefully I'll spot their nuptials. :)