Species identification request - Dubai, UAE

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AKAnting

Species identification request - Dubai, UAE

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:13 am

Hi guys,

Been looking at what's available around my area, mostly in my garden, and been really interested in starting to keep these ants with my kid, mainly because of their size, and their generally slow movement.

I found a couple nests in my garden, but their numbers are really small, and I can't figure out if this species has multiple sized workers or if the other smaller black ants which I see around these ones are from another species. Those other black ants are smaller and way too fast and jittery for me to take a photo of, unfortunately.

Who know's what those are and perhaps when their nuptial flights might be happening in this part of the world?

https://imgur.com/a/n5rfTWn

Thanks in advance!

AKAnting

Re: Species identification request - Dubai, UAE

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:17 am

Bump...anyone?

Anwilantz

Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:08 am

This reply might be late but those ants kinda look like Carpenter ants (soldiers) and are also common in UAE,Dubai.If you want to find the queens of this species try looking in parks at april or may. You can also maybe find other species of queen ants in june, july or september. Hope this is helpful.

SYUTEO

Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:27 am

Anwilantz wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:08 am
This reply might be late but those ants kinda look like Carpenter ants (soldiers) and are also common in UAE,Dubai.If you want to find the queens of this species try looking in parks at april or may. You can also maybe find other species of queen ants in june, july or september. Hope this is helpful.
That's doesn't look like Camponotus, looks more like Brachyponera sennaarensis.