Lasius what? Unknown

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

NYAnts11

Lasius what? Unknown

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:19 pm

Here are the best shots of the teeth i can get and a side view. I caught her early Sept. And heard that she could be a neoniger or pallitarsis based on her teeth. Anyone help thru these photos.
Shes yet to lay any eggs. So im thinking about hibernating her soon but should i feed her ornis she okay?
2 Tetramorium Immigran Colonies #1 [40-50 workers] #2 [5-7 workers])
1 Lasius Neoniger Queen [waiting to lay after Hibernation]

TheRealAntMan

Re: Lasius what? Unknown

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 pm

Lasius is most easily and correctly IDed with workers.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

JoeHostile1

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:52 am

I mean technically they don’t need food because they are designed to be able to go through hibernation and founding a colony without food. Plus I’m sure getting ready to fly out of the nest involves stocking up on food supplies. But there is no harm in offering her a little food and sugar just in case she needs/wants it before she starts a colony.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

NYAnts11

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:44 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 pm
Lasius is most easily and correctly IDed with workers.
I guess I will have to wait until after hibernation to find out, because she has not laid anything in the past month. I put her in mid 60's Fahrenheit to start prep-ing her for hibernation.

Thanks for the response guys! Much appreciated!

NYAnts11

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:45 pm

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:52 am
I mean technically they don’t need food because they are designed to be able to go through hibernation and founding a colony without food. Plus I’m sure getting ready to fly out of the nest involves stocking up on food supplies. But there is no harm in offering her a little food and sugar just in case she needs/wants it before she starts a colony.
I just happened to stumble onto your youtube channel lastnight, and here you are responding to my post. Its a small little ant world huh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

by the way I like your ant setup! mines similar yet smaller

JoeHostile1

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 am

Lol it is a small ant world for sure. Hard to find people interested in ants. I actually made my set up way better since I shot that video. 3 more formicariums from Tar Heel ants (Tar Heel ants addiction) and a bunch more founding colonies.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

AntsDakota

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 am

It looks like neoniger or pallitarsis to me. They both have longer, shinier abdomens. Yet judging on the time she was caught, I would say neoniger.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:02 am

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 am
Lol it is a small ant world for sure. Hard to find people interested in ants. I actually made my set up way better since I shot that video. 3 more formicariums from Tar Heel ants (Tar Heel ants addiction) and a bunch more founding colonies.
Tell me about it. I would rejoice if someone listened to me on ants for the first time.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25