SW Ohio: Worker Identification

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

23brendan

SW Ohio: Worker Identification

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:03 pm

I have this ant colony in a 10 gal aquarium converted into a vivarium. The colony lives inside the decaying log in the back of the setup. I find the workers are anywhere between 3 and 8 mm. long, with dark red/brown bodies, darker heads, and black gasters with inset smooth cream-yellow stripes perpendicular to the length of the ant. Due to the fact that the larger workers tending to have disproportionately larger heads and mandibles, I believe them to be in the Camponotus genus. Beyond that, however, I do not know what species they are. I live in Cincinnati OH, and there are elates in the nest which seem fully developed, but have not flown yet. I know they do not fly in captivity, but I found the entire colony only yesterday. I put the whole nest/log into a vivarium I had set up, that's how I know there are elates, as I saw them crawling on the log after I put it in. My point is, we should be coming up on, if not already in, this species' nuptial flight season.

Here are some pictures. Sorry about the poor quality, I don't have access to anything but a phone camera and a pocket microscope.

This one was taken through the aforementioned pocket microscope:

Lastly, here's a general photo of their enclosure. Any suggestions on modifications are welcome!

Boomdale

Re: SW Ohio: Worker Identification

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:48 pm

I don’t know what they are but by the photos they look large which goes along with your Camponotus suggestion. Either way they are amazing to look at.
Nylanderia Sp.
Pheidole Sp.

Founding - Cremagastor & Solonopsis Invicta

AntsDakota

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm pretty sure it's Camponotus subbarbatus.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

23brendan

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:41 pm

AntsDakota you're definitely right. The elates are identical to the ones I saw yesterday, and the workers look very similar too. I really appreciate it!