Worker ID and possible queen...

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

toepick

Worker ID and possible queen...

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:57 pm

Found where I work, wooded area they seem to favor the large wood ties around the landscaping..

first is worker:

Here is the queen I found in the same area, I think previously ID'd as possibly crematogaster:

toepick

Re: Worker ID and possible queen...

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:34 pm

Also this is in NY, northern Westchester.. Mt Kisco area

DontSquishTheAnt

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:30 pm

toepick wrote:
Found where I work, wooded area they seem to favor the large wood ties around the landscaping..

first is worker:

Here is the queen I found in the same area, I think previously ID'd as possibly crematogaster:

The worker is a Camponotus species, note the relatively flat thorax. Probably C. pennsylvanicus. What is a wood tie? Sorry for my ignorance. Often Camponotus ants nest in wood; they like dyer places, so that's probably why they tend to hang out around there.

You are correct that the queen is Crematogaster, what species, though, I am uncertain, a picture with better lighting or pictures of the nanitics' propodea and pronota (when they come) would help very much with species level ID's.
First year and already enjoying it!

Founding:
1 Solenopsis molesta colony with ~10 nanitic workers and lots of brood

Genesis 1:24

toepick

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Not sure what to call them, old wooden railroad beams, some are a lot longer tho so like uncut..or just made to boarder landscaping.

I have 5 queens just like the one pictured gathered in the last couple weeks. Hopefully at least one will do okay.

AntsDakota

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:19 pm

toepick wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:39 pm
Not sure what to call them, old wooden railroad beams, some are a lot longer tho so like uncut..or just made to boarder landscaping.

I have 5 queens just like the one pictured gathered in the last couple weeks. Hopefully at least one will do okay.
DontSquishTheAnt wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:30 pm
toepick wrote:

first is worker:

The worker is a Camponotus species, note the relatively flat thorax. Probably C. pennsylvanicus. What is a wood tie? Sorry for my ignorance. Often Camponotus ants nest in wood; they like dyer places, so that's probably why they tend to hang out around there.

You are correct that the queen is Crematogaster, what species, though, I am uncertain, a picture with better lighting or pictures of the nanitics' propodea and pronota (when they come) would help very much with species level ID's.
I think he means railroad ties.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

toepick

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:11 am

yes railroad ties, 'ties' maybe was the issue? idk..tried to be more descriptive lol