Queen Ant ID Help - Lake George, CO, United States, Aug 24

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

ObiWiseKenobi
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:28 pm
Location: Idaho, United States

Queen Ant ID Help - Lake George, CO, United States, Aug 24

Post: # 50502Post ObiWiseKenobi
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Was caught by a lake near Lake George, CO, United States on August 24, 2018. She is about 10 mm long. She has laid 3 eggs as far as I can tell. She has been on the cotton ball now for almost 2 weeks now.

ObiWiseKenobi
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:28 pm
Location: Idaho, United States

Re: Queen Ant ID Help - Lake George, CO, United States, Aug 24

Post: # 50520Post ObiWiseKenobi
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:16 pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XsxbdQkUZa2UZzWr8

Link to get to pictures.

TheRealAntMan
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Queen Ant ID Help - Lake George, CO, United States, Aug 24

Post: # 50544Post TheRealAntMan
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 am

Lasius sp. Workers are much easier ID of this genus.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

ObiWiseKenobi
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:28 pm
Location: Idaho, United States

Re: Queen Ant ID Help - Lake George, CO, United States, Aug 24

Post: # 50587Post ObiWiseKenobi
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:57 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 am
Lasius sp. Workers are much easier ID of this genus.
Thanks. I hope I get some workers soon so I can post pictures of them.

TheRealAntMan
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Queen Ant ID Help - Lake George, CO, United States, Aug 24

Post: # 50620Post TheRealAntMan
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:28 am

ObiWiseKenobi wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:57 pm
TheRealAntMan wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 am
Lasius sp. Workers are much easier ID of this genus.
Thanks. I hope I get some workers soon so I can post pictures of them.
Workers likely won't be coming until next spring.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

ObiWiseKenobi
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:28 pm
Location: Idaho, United States

Re: Queen Ant ID Help - Lake George, CO, United States, Aug 24

Post: # 50686Post ObiWiseKenobi
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:39 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:28 am
ObiWiseKenobi wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:57 pm
TheRealAntMan wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 am
Lasius sp. Workers are much easier ID of this genus.
Thanks. I hope I get some workers soon so I can post pictures of them.
Workers likely won't be coming until next spring.
Do I need to feed her anything or is the test tube setup the best option to go with and leave her be?
Also, she has been laying her eggs not together. Is that normal?

TheRealAntMan
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Queen Ant ID Help - Lake George, CO, United States, Aug 24

Post: # 50687Post TheRealAntMan
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Do you mean she doesn't clump her eggs together? If she does have eggs she probably won't accepting any food until her larvae are late in larvae stage.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

ObiWiseKenobi
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:28 pm
Location: Idaho, United States

Re: Queen Ant ID Help - Lake George, CO, United States, Aug 24

Post: # 50703Post ObiWiseKenobi
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:04 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:44 pm
Do you mean she doesn't clump her eggs together? If she does have eggs she probably won't accepting any food until her larvae are late in larvae stage.
I can only see 3 eggs in the test tube and they are not clumped together. They are each by themselves.

TheRealAntMan
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Queen Ant ID Help - Lake George, CO, United States, Aug 24

Post: # 50770Post TheRealAntMan
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:41 am

If/When she lays more eggs, she'll probably clump them together.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

ObiWiseKenobi
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:28 pm
Location: Idaho, United States

Re: Queen Ant ID Help - Lake George, CO, United States, Aug 24

Post: # 51408Post ObiWiseKenobi
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:53 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:41 am
If/When she lays more eggs, she'll probably clump them together.
When should I start her hibernation? Will placing her in a refrigerator be okay?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests