Can you confirm if both of these queen's are Myrmica Rubra please?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

Can you confirm if both of these queen's are Myrmica Rubra please?

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:33 pm

The one inside the test tube is protecting eggs because I have her a few weeks now and she is slightly smaller in size and is also a darker redy that is not just the camera. And the one walking brown around is one I only caught yesterday. Can you see she is bigger but only by a bit and brighter in colour with a redy orange with a darker redy brown head. Both of these girls were caught in Dublin Ireland and I am not city based.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1LpF7sOl1abRLTNvzXMLSz1bCgRwiO-NS
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Re: Can you confirm if both of these queen's are Myrmica Rubra please?

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:11 pm

I have added better pictures and I am now pretty sure the one inside the test tube is not Rubra but not sure what is mite be.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:13 am

I am starting to think the one inside the test tube is Myrmica ruginodis but without help I am stumped. Also no care sheets jump out on Google so flying completely blind. :(

ClashOwenBash

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:23 am

Sorry to say but you can only really identify a Myrmica sp. by looking at a dead worker under a microscope :cry: Your smaller queen might just be a microrubra and your larger one a normal M.Rubra queen.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

Hunter36o

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:27 am

I though that but they will not go near one and other after the smaller queen took a defence "get out of my face" warning snap at the bigger one so I am super worried they won't get on or worse do not belong together. I separated them for now but if they are both Rubra I will just put them back into the same forging area for now. Let's them have their own tubes for a day or two.

Also the new queen did investigate the first test tube when the smaller queen left and she did not really pay much attention to the current batch of eggs. She acknowledged they were there but then just turned and had a drink from the cotton then buggered off o.o"