Please help me ID this colony. NEW GENUS FOR ME.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Bierschneeman

Please help me ID this colony. NEW GENUS FOR ME.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:44 pm

So VEEEERRRY brief rain last night (first drops in 18 days.) took a queen walk... nothing.
BUT i did see an extremely large colony in the middle of moving day.

I sat and watched them for a while, watching for about a minute, workers, majors?, eggs, larva, nanitics, and queens, lots of queens.

considering the colony was so large, I figured it would be okay to steal some queens.
These girls are fast, erratic, long legged, don't sting, and left a weird smell on my hands and arms where they crawled, kind of a fake peanut smell that reminds me of Mole bait/poison. I wonder if the Mole bait utilizes ant pheromones to attract them? but that was decades ago.

So I have, 2mm worker, 5mm queen, what I believe to be a rare major (very rare) is 3mm.
Louisianans. They did not fly today, nor do I think they will fly anytime soon, I saw zero alates.
They were in a brick enclosed planter connected to the porch steps on a 150 year old house lots of vegetation, they are moving to an open ground low, flowering plant bordering their chain link fence.
I initially counted 11 antennae segments on the queen, 10 on workers. NO club.
cup/triangle shaped mandibles, very fine teeth.
no propodium spines.
Im figuring on a Dolicherdinae as the subfamily. but have done zero work on this section, so, NOT Dorymyrmex, lacks the spine, not Forelius, I KNOW what that looks like, I can't imagine this stranger to be it.

queen
worker
worker, focused on gaster and thorax
All, in a test tube
different test tubes.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

Bierschneeman

Re: Please help me ID this colony. NEW GENUS FOR ME.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:50 pm

THREE questions.
(I am running my keys now, Have not even touched them yet)

Claustral?
If she is, do I need to treat her like a semi claustral (my Forelius experience has me stage frighted) because I took her from an established nest?
If I have the queens of the same colony seperated now, can I combine them later, since they used to be part of the same hierarchy?

last I have info, I have three queens, solo in test tubes.
One with workers. and drop of honey.
two with workers. and drop of honey.
and three or four with workers. and drop of honey.

The nest. likely has well over 100 queens still.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile

Colonies:
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

antnest8

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:57 pm

just from the super polygyony i would guess Linepithema humile the invasive and famous Argentine ants i would not worry about Claustral and non Claustral because if they have workers treat them like a young colony. also the ID is not a very sound one just a guess
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Bierschneeman

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:44 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:57 pm
just from the super polygyony i would guess Linepithema humile the invasive and famous Argentine ants i would not worry about Claustral and non Claustral because if they have workers treat them like a young colony. also the ID is not a very sound one just a guess
The claustral question was for the three queens I have separated without workers.

The large 4 (or more) queen colony with at least 4 normal workers, and I no count two of the larger workers, has settled down in their testube, so I place the test tube in the outworld I can't get "The Brachyn" (Brachymyrmex colony) to use. Ill get the Brachyn a new outworld after I get them a formicarium.

In this outworld/test tube setup; I have their test tube (which they continue to claim as home, not a single queen will exit, and I see contains one egg and one larva), a second water test tube, a drop of honey, and a canned cricket.

they already love the honey, acknowledge the existence of the Cricket, and give up on the barrier as soon as they try once.

ID update, I have counted five visible tergite from the side But am not married, I am also having a hard time trying for a good petiole picture, since so much of my key is dependent on it.

This should eliminate Tapinoma
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile

Colonies:
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

Bierschneeman

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:00 pm

just realised the image I was using to count Tergite was a queen. useless. I have a worker key not a queen key.

So this key is done by steps, from MSU.
correct me if im wrong.
Here are the pictures with steps.
Petiole simple, flattened, or strip, in profile, NOT standing scale
no matter how many times I change camera angle I can't see it more than a tube. (AKA flattened)
only four gastral tergites visible from dorsal view, No erect hairs on prodoeum
=Tapinoma

The next key only had three species, very easy, fast, simple.
=sessile.

I am not positive I worked my key right, If someone could correct me if wrong.

(specific Genus exludes, Technomyrmex has erect hairs on Propodeum, and five visible tergite. Dorymyrmex has a propodeal spine, NOT EVEN REMOTELY Dolichoderus, several disqualifiers for Forelius, plus I have lots of Forelius pictures. The biggest difference on Linepithema humile is the scale like petiole, which is why it was so important I get a good shot. I refrigerated her, and still could get a good one. but I am pretty positive it is not there.)

If I missed something, or need to go back for a better picture tell me. New to ants, very new to this subfamily.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile

Colonies:
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile