Unknown Polygynous Queen Species

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JoeSchaiper

Unknown Polygynous Queen Species

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:03 am

I have already posted about this pair of queens I have found. But I am not sure what species it is. But they are a small species, the exact measurment I'm not sure of, but they can't be larger than 4mm. . They're both black and have a dark brown shimmer to them when in light. When I caught them, I was walking on the side-walk and noticed a queen with no wings running around on the ground. As I bent down to catch her I noticed that she wasn't the only one but there were at least 50 of them. All queens, all wingless. I assume this would indicate they are a member of a polygynous species, but when I tried to keep them in the same container, when I caught them, they started to fight. So I don't know if this means they aren't polygynous or if they were only fighting becuase they were scared. But regardless I'm am not very well-experienced with identifying ant species, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

StormDancer

Re: Unknown Polygynous Queen Species

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:39 am

It's never recommended to house queens together even in know polygenous species because they are so unpredictable. For the health of your queens you should keep them individually.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

idahoantgirl

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:09 am

Get a proper ID on them. Then we can see if they can be safely kept with other queens
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

JoeSchaiper

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Ok so I'm not able to post the photos as an attachment so here's a link to my Google plus where I posted three of the best photos of them. Also the location that I caught them in wad Cincinnati, Oh. I really hope that the link works and this doesn't over complicate things

https://plus.google.com/108749112192350431929/posts/88NTzbcAtFA