QUEEN ID PLEASE

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:11 pm

Caught today an hour or two ago in Ontario

JoeHostile1

Re: QUEEN ID PLEASE

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:10 am

Lasius neoniger
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

JoeHostile1

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:24 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:07 am
JoeHostile1 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:28 am
Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:04 pm
Lasius sp.
Hey just wondering what prevented you from identifying the species. Because I just identified an ant that looks exactly like this as Lasius neoniger and now I’m wondering if I should have just said Lasius sp.
Niger-group Lasius can only be properly identified with a view of the hairs on the antennal scapes and the teeth on the mandibles. Lasius neoniger is *most likely* what people are finding in Eastern North America at this time of year, but to assume this identity every time is to neglect species like Lasius pallitarsis and members of the flavus group which happen to be darker.
So I’ll have to change my answer to Lasius Sp..
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Batspiderfish

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:57 am

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:24 am
Batspiderfish wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:07 am
JoeHostile1 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:28 am

Hey just wondering what prevented you from identifying the species. Because I just identified an ant that looks exactly like this as Lasius neoniger and now I’m wondering if I should have just said Lasius sp.
Niger-group Lasius can only be properly identified with a view of the hairs on the antennal scapes and the teeth on the mandibles. Lasius neoniger is *most likely* what people are finding in Eastern North America at this time of year, but to assume this identity every time is to neglect species like Lasius pallitarsis and members of the flavus group which happen to be darker.
So I’ll have to change my answer to Lasius Sp..
We can also give them the "Lasius cf. neoniger" answer, so long as we explain why they can't be identified with certainty.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.