Please can you offer Worker and queen ant IDs, Eco survey of yard.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Bierschneeman

Please can you offer Worker and queen ant IDs, Eco survey of yard.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:42 pm

It was supposed to rain today, and yesterday, and friday. This weekend was going to be a big Queen Walking weekend. no rain, Ohh well.
I decided to continue my taxonomic education by doing an ecological survey of my yard.
Some I think I have nailed down, others I HAVE NO CLUE, and I am asking for assistance in either case.

[NONE of these ants are dead, if I could not get a good shot, I have refrigerated then for a few minutes, moments later they are back up and I have to recatch them.]

Louisianians all.

I will never learn unless I practice, and practice is worthless if I don't get corrected.
First up, Subfamily Dolichoderinae. Tribe Leptomyrmecini.
I don't know what the keys are, I have done zero research on this subfamily.
I was told early on before I upgraded my Macro lens that the crater/pyramid building ants outside were likely Dorymrymex.
I also found a queen Nearby I took with the better lens that batfishspider and Therealantman identified as Forelius (I think pruinosus are the only species in my area)
THESE MIGHT BE UNRELATED. I am not disagreeing with either ID (I fully except any of these IDs since I have no idea), I am just providing a better picture of the ants outside.
These ants OWN the large majority of the property with 9 nexts each 10 feet from eachother.
what should I look for to differentiate the two generas?
(11 antennae segments) between 2-4 mm

(Ant colony B) This ant I found on the ****, and found a colony in one of my old plant pots (with naught but weeds now.) I have moved the plant to a tub with an olive Oil barrier. . (is that seven or eight antennae segments. Cant figure out how many petioles either so I am not even able to figure out subfamily)(I am going to try and keep this one, I laid out, honey, bread, egg white, peanut, grape, Gator meat, and bird poop, with hopes they like one of them.)
worker at ~1.5mm, and a queen elate at 4mm

Ant Colony C
This one I got better, definitely subfamily Myrmicinae, I am going to say its Tribe Crematogastini based on the position of the gaster to Petiole connection. BUT I can't get it into a specific Genus because of the zero work I have done in this Tribe.
This one loves the White pine trees around here, I regularly see trails of this ant leading up the furrows between the large bark flakes, they go high enough I lose track of them.
2-3mm worker

Ant Colony D
THIS GUY was on my computer monitor while I was writing this, must really want to be included. (first wild ant seen in house since my wife lined every window and doorjam with cinnamon three years ago.)
clearly a single Petiole, very platelike Ill say Formicinae subfamily, Ill guess its Camponotus since my wife says they used to come down from the attic,But I have no clue since I have done zero work in this subfamily
5mm worker

Ant Colony E
a single very small nest bordering the alley behind the property was this tiny red ant.
subfamily Mrymicinae, not Solenopsis. I don't expect anyone to be able to make anything of this bad picture, but its the best I have right now, since it is so fast, and I can hope.
2-3mm worker

Ant Colony F, not pictured. the sidewalk is 90% Solenopsis Invicta
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

Bierschneeman

Re: Please can you offer Worker and queen ant IDs, Eco survey of yard.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:54 pm

UPDATE
ant colony B
NOT myrmicinae
I have located cocooned Pupae. Myrmicinae do not for cocoons around the pupae.
I had my suspicions they were not, because it didn't look like they had two Petioles, but I really couldn't tell with how tiny they are.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile

Colonies:
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

Bierschneeman

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:08 pm

could I be miscounting the Antennae segments?
if it is 12 segments instead of 8, this unobservable petiole could mean its Tapinoma sessile.
the worker and queen sizes are correct.
I have done zero work in taxonomy in the entire Dolocherdirnae, so I don't know what keys I am looking for.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile

Colonies:
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

Bierschneeman

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:21 pm

Update Colony B
NOPE, not Tapinoma sessile.
definitely 8 segments.
also toothless sabrelike jaws.
(new pics of queen)
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile

Colonies:
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

Batspiderfish

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:24 pm

I can't take a good look at these yet, but the easiest way to identify Dorymyrmex workers is by the shape of their propodium from the side -- they are called pyramid ants for the cone-like shape of this segment. Dorymyrmex queens are about 3 or 4mm larger than Forelius queens (Forelius queens average at about 5mm)

9 antennal segments would be consistent with Brachymyrmex (you include the antennal scapes in this count).

I believe the last one looks like Pheidole, barring clearer photos.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MorbidBugg

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Fascinating shots I would only like to comment on colony d as it seems to be the one I'm currently 100% focused on. I agree, that is Camponotus however as I'm still learning myself all I can do is offer suggestions that it is not, it is not Camponotus Novaeboracenis nor is it likely Camponotus Nearcticus(sp) or pennsylvanicus as these species are less likely to be where you are from. But if I'm not mistaken some of the keys to this genera come from the under mouth/ size/colour/ and location as to their specific genera beyond camponotus.

Great shots again by the way.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

Bierschneeman

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:24 pm
I can't take a good look at these yet, but the easiest way to identify Dorymyrmex workers is by the shape of their propodium from the side -- they are called pyramid ants for the cone-like shape of this segment. Dorymyrmex queens are about 3 or 4mm larger than Forelius queens (Forelius queens average at about 5mm)

9 antennal segments would be consistent with Brachymyrmex (you include the antennal scapes in this count).

I believe the last one looks like Pheidole, barring clearer photos.
Thank you so much. I am greatly appreciating your constant advice.
I also hope I am showing signs of improving my classification skills.

So your saying Ant Colony B is likely Brachymyrmex?

Im going to try and get another picture of the potential Pheidole now.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile

Colonies:
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

Batspiderfish

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:31 pm

Camponotus from the Myrmentoma subgenus (e.g. C. nearcticus, C. subbarbatus) all have a clypeal notch.

I think you are doing quite well with your taxonomy!
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Bierschneeman

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:32 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:31 pm
Camponotus from the Myrmentoma subgenus (e.g. C. nearcticus, C. subbarbatus) all have a clypeal notch.

I think you are doing quite well with your taxonomy!
thank you.
sorry it took so long to get new pictures. but as soon as I got out there to look for a new specimen of Ant Colony E, (I have been returning specimens after photos) My landlord was out there about to dig it up to access the pipes underneath.... so now all the sudden I am quickly setting up a Formicarium out of an old Party drink dispenser (glass jar with spigot) that was set aside for a future yard sale.

bonus, the brood lair was set in a chunk of clay so I was able to extract the whole brood in one attempt. although I accidentally broke it in half, so here is some pictures of a Major, and the queen.

alright, two node petiole and pupae free larva, Myrmicinae, The Post Petiole is larger/extended, I should get a side view to see if the Gaster is offset, but I think I will wait for them to get settled in. maybe you can see something I cannot. ...nuts, forgot to measure, I was too focused on getting them moved in.

WAS NOT READY FOR COLONY TWO YET.
my hope was to wait for the founding Forelius queen to become my colony two.

New setup, I guess it works. beats losing them to excavation.

My snake wants to know what all the commotion is about.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile

Colonies:
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

Bierschneeman

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:47 pm

sorry these last two ant photos are so blurry.
I was in a rush. because I was moving the colony at the same time.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile

Colonies:
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile