Pls Help Me Indentify This Queen

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

TheGenderlessAnt

Pls Help Me Indentify This Queen

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:35 am

These two queens I found in blowing rock NC if anyone can identify these species and tell me how to properly care for them. If anyone can please help me out I have offered them honey and cricket legs and they currently have water. Neither have touched any of the food. They are constantly digging at the cotton ball. When I found the two it was 10 at night and during the day I only found kings but when night fell there were so many queen ants. From this I believe they are a nocturnal specie. If you need any more information that I can provide to identify this specie I will gladly respond. Link to photos --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/163818666@N06/

MorbidBugg

Re: Pls Help Me Indentify This Queen

Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:49 am

Nice assumption! Camponotus Pensylvannicus is a diurnal species which does most of its foraging at night. But will forage during the days too.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

MorbidBugg

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:46 am

Oops spell check... biurnal

CatsnAnts

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:57 am

Dont forget the measurements! :D It could very possibly be the smaller version of Camponotus pensylvinnicus which is Camponotus nearcticus
Camponotus subbarbatus x3
Temnothorax curvispinosus x1 :shock: :D
Aphenogaster fulva x1
Camponotus sp.
Termite pair

TheGenderlessAnt

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:07 pm

Thank you for the help identifying the specie now I only have one question left. How do I properly take care of them. (What do I give them and how often.)

TheGenderlessAnt

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:29 pm

I researched this specie a little further I already have 1 Camponotus Pensylvannicus queen but the two other queens I have fit no description of a Camponotus Pensylvannicus. They are much to large and share almost no similar features, they both are about .74 of an inch. Please if anyone or the person who said it was a Camponotus Pensylvannicus specie can reidentify my specie I will be very grateful.

MorbidBugg

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:45 am

Okay if it's BIGGER than your C. Pensylvannicus then I'm positive it's still a camponotus species. Camponotus are the biggest things we have in North America. . Atleast to my knowledge. And if these girls are bigger than your pennsylvanicus I'm sure it's a just a different subspecies. The head looks tool muscular to be Formica I don't see any extra bumps before the gaster. I can't tell how oval the eyes are or the positioning of the base of the antenna but I'm still confident in my Camponotus identity... not so much about the subspecies as you've already compared.