Queen ant identification

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

RyanCowell

Queen ant identification

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:04 pm

So I caught this one on august sixth (it was raining on the fifth), in Quebec. I can't tell if it is a queen or not, nor the species. I took multiple photos but they're kinda blurry (sorry about that), it measures ~1 cm in length.

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen ant identification

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:31 pm

A Formica social parasite. She will need 6-10 Formica worker pupae in order to start a colony.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

RyanCowell

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Here are some way clearer photos. (the light is tinted green so I'll describe the color scheme)
The thorax is a very dark red (probably visible in the eight blurry photos). The rest is black and the abdomen has slightly transparent stripes.

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:41 pm

She has the look of Formica aserva, but these photographs are not detailed enough to ID a difficult genus like Formica

You can just leave the hyperlinks as they are, FYI. Embedding photographs requires the direct address of the image, and these are display pages on the host website.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

RyanCowell

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:09 pm

How do I care for a Social Parasite Queen and where do I get thes Formica pupae?