2 tiny queens can yall help me ID them

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Sargentnoid

2 tiny queens can yall help me ID them

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:11 am

The first 3 pics are new queens I caught yesterday in central Arkansas I think I've identified them as (Temnothorax longispinosus) but there's a good chance I'm wrong as I'm still very new to this. The last pic is a colony I had thought was Temnothorax curvispinosus but when I was taking pictures I noticed the workers have striped gastors instead of the "eye spots" the Temnothorax curvispinosus has I didn't get a size as I thought she was identified already but she's less then 5mm and the picture was taken of her inside of 1/4 airline tube from a fish tank.
Thanks again for all the help

This photo is just for size

This is the small colony

AntsDakota

Re: 2 tiny queens can yall help me ID them

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:13 am

I believe your id on the second colony is correct, but I can't be sure on the first queen. I don't even know if it's from the genus Temnothorax.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Sargentnoid

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:39 am

Ya the pics of the first one aren't very good she's so small and wouldn't stay still.
The small colony could be Temnothorax curvispinosus but I am thinking she's not because I can't see any spines on her back an the workers are slightly larger and a little different color.
But like I said I'm still learning so I'm trying to look at the small details and I'm wrong alot

Batspiderfish

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Can you please get a shot of the first ant's mandibles?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:53 pm

Nevermind. Most likele Myrmecina americana, even though I cannot see the second set of propodeal spines.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Sargentnoid

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:10 pm

I'll see if I can get better pictures when I get home I think I found a dead one at the same time and I don't know why i didn't think to take pictures of it

Batspiderfish

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Sargentnoid wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:10 pm
I'll see if I can get better pictures when I get home I think I found a dead one at the same time and I don't know why i didn't think to take pictures of it
I wanted to see if there were any teeth on the mandibles, but I could actually see that there were in one of the photos.