Re: Identify this queen

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:31 am

Bierschneeman wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:30 pm
Thorond0r wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 am
idahoantgirl wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:30 am

No definetly not. I did a little google search... possibly Monomorium algiricum? I'm not super gifted in ID's yet tho
What is it that makes you say this is not a tetramorium? Trying to learn ;)
i am very very new to ant keeping so specifics will be lost on me, but not new to taxonomy (i use taxonomy in my job, and another hobby, birdwatching) the easiest way to describe how a taxonomist makes IDs is to use the game "Guess Who" which is pretty much very similar.

that kid down the block who wasnt cheating, but was very well versed in the game and always won used a sinilar method.
1) identify the quickest to identify feature that will eliminate the most answers regardless of which answer was right.
2) color is often (not always) not something that is used effectively until you get into very narrow options, for a lot of different phyllums.
seems that way for ants, perhaps someone can enlighten me
3) these identifying features are called keys

lets apply that to Solenopsis (the only genra i know anything about. but i might still get something off).
1) count the nodes on the petioles. you can seperate most genras into two humps or one hump. (two humps)
2) 10 antennae segments... exactly
3) not pyramid head shaped (Pyrmica)
4) absence of petiole spines
5) only two segments in antennael club is a very defining feature that seperates Solenopsis from around 10 generas at this point.

which Solenopsis you would just keep going, counting Cypeal teeth, identifying petiole process, counting mandible teeth, et cetera
(geminata for instance, has no mandible teeth and the mandibles are all black, the vertex on head is very deep, and shorter antennae scope.)

again, i am brand new to this, i could have gotten specifics wrong.i was commenting not as an expert on ants, but someone who knows a lot about taxonomy.
i am trying to learn and i have been hyperfocusing on Solenopsis because i caught so many potentially Solenopsis. thats why i have Solenopsis keys on hand. so dont ask me about other generas.
Wow! Looks like your doing well! I've been keeping ants for three years but I've never gotten this deep into ID's.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Bierschneeman

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:56 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:31 am
Bierschneeman wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:30 pm
Thorond0r wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 am

What is it that makes you say this is not a tetramorium? Trying to learn ;)
i am very very new to ant keeping so specifics will be lost on me, but not new to taxonomy (i use taxonomy in my job, and another hobby, birdwatching) the easiest way to describe how a taxonomist makes IDs is to use the game "Guess Who" which is pretty much very similar.

that kid down the block who wasnt cheating, but was very well versed in the game and always won used a sinilar method.
1) identify the quickest to identify feature that will eliminate the most answers regardless of which answer was right.
2) color is often (not always) not something that is used effectively until you get into very narrow options, for a lot of different phyllums.
seems that way for ants, perhaps someone can enlighten me
3) these identifying features are called keys

lets apply that to Solenopsis (the only genra i know anything about. but i might still get something off).
1) count the nodes on the petioles. you can seperate most genras into two humps or one hump. (two humps)
2) 10 antennae segments... exactly
3) not pyramid head shaped (Pyrmica)
4) absence of petiole spines
5) only two segments in antennael club is a very defining feature that seperates Solenopsis from around 10 generas at this point.

which Solenopsis you would just keep going, counting Cypeal teeth, identifying petiole process, counting mandible teeth, et cetera
(geminata for instance, has no mandible teeth and the mandibles are all black, the vertex on head is very deep, and shorter antennae scope.)

again, i am brand new to this, i could have gotten specifics wrong.i was commenting not as an expert on ants, but someone who knows a lot about taxonomy.
i am trying to learn and i have been hyperfocusing on Solenopsis because i caught so many potentially Solenopsis. thats why i have Solenopsis keys on hand. so dont ask me about other generas.
Wow! Looks like your doing well! I've been keeping ants for three years but I've never gotten this deep into ID's.
looks like.

As i stated i am not an ant expert. I just know the fundamentals of how to get taxonomy to work for you. As stated I am already practiced in my career, and another hobby.

This is why i asked if anyone can correct my synopsis, DO SO. its the only way i will learn.

there is also a disconnect between learned knowledge , and applied knowledge in practice. i have very little experience in applying these keys. i only just upgraded my camera to a point i can identify distinguishing marks two days ago.

i have also have limited application, only 8 Solenopsis queens, 7 are defintely invicta (waiting for confirmation, i didnt miss something) the 8th is probably invicta. my Forelius, someone told me "thats Dorymyrmex", i said okay. i got a better picture, someone else said Forelius, i said, okay. i literally have no clue, havent even begun to research keys on any other genuses.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

Darkhero0987

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:19 pm

Sadly she had passed sometime this week she was doing amazing last time I checked on her and it had been about 3 days it was feeding time for my other ants I am caring for so decided to see how she was doing and she had passed away :cry: I think she wasnt mated sadly
Founding:

Keeping