Is this a Queen Ant? If so what species?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Sethinski

Re: Is this a Queen Ant? If so what species?

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Ahh that's a beautiful queen! Where did you find this queen, like in what state or country.

Sethinski

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Looks like Formica Subsericea to me. These ants given ample care so really well in captivity. I find them to show a lot more personality than species like Tetramorium and other smaller ants.

nate2o1

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:22 pm

:ugeek:
Sethinski wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:10 pm
Ahh that's a beautiful queen! Where did you find this queen, like in what state or country.
I got her by chance outside my garage in Northwest NJ.

nate2o1

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Sethinski wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:15 pm
Looks like Formica Subsericea to me. These ants given ample care so really well in captivity. I find them to show a lot more personality than species like Tetramorium and other smaller ants.
Any suggestions as how to care for my queen and get brood/ colony?

Sethinski

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Put her in a test tube setup for sure if you haven't yet, that's where you take a test tube and fill it halfway with water than block it with a cotton ball than put they queen in and block her in with a cotton ball. Once she is inside one, take the test tube that she is in and put it in a dark warm place like inside drawer or a cabinet. She will do all the work and be fine without food for a long while until she has workers, just make sure to not disturb her often. With ants patience is key. Once she has 8 to 10 workers i would recommend moving her into a temporary tubs and tubes setup. That is just where you would take the test tube and place it inside a tupperware container and remove the cotton entrance. This way you can feed your small growing colony for a awhile at a fairly cheap price until you can decide on a more permanent setup.