Identifying carpenter queen in New Mexico

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

gluner

Identifying carpenter queen in New Mexico

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:39 pm

I found this queen (I think?) in New Mexico, south of Albuquerque. The ants from this colony are only out after dark, and I'm pretty sure they are living in a big stump in my front yard. I think they are carpenter ants, but I'm not sure which species (or even if they really are carpenter ants).

I caught her on August 1, 2018.

https://imgur.com/a/9BtGihu

The queen is ~16mm long and kind of bulky-looking. There are at least two distinct sizes of workers, ~12mm and ~8mm.

I collected the ants around 10pm. There might have been an ant battle recently because there were some corpses around, it was a little strange. I saw one with wings but it escaped underground. The queen I caught was on the surface, and she had no wings when I caught her. I didn't see any other ants with wings or any other queens, so I was surprised to see her!

I noticed she is good at climbing the sides of tupperware. I now have her in a test tube setup in a dark cabinet. She has been pulling at the cotton plugging the open end of the test tube.

I can take more photos of the queen if needed. She was a little hard to photograph because she was moving around a lot and so I had to photograph her through glass. Thanks!

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Identifying carpenter queen in New Mexico

Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:56 am

Can someone help please? Thanks.
Btw the pictures look amazing. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.