A possible queen ant!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
User avatar
Tanks19
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:23 pm
Location: USA, California

A possible queen ant!

Post: # 92323Post Tanks19
Fri May 13, 2022 11:04 pm

So I was on a walk and I found a large ant she had no wings and she was alone and I had some test tubes and cotton balls on me so I caught her, I put her in a test tube setup. Here are some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/p2mklXy please tell me if she is fully claustral, semi claustral, or parasitic, or if she is just a large worker if you need more pictures or pictures from different angels please tell me.

SolenopsisKeeper
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:41 am
Location: United States, Florida

Re: A possible queen ant!

Post: # 92324Post SolenopsisKeeper
Fri May 13, 2022 11:05 pm

Tanks19 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:04 pm
So I was on a walk and I found a large ant she had no wings and she was alone and I had some test tubes and cotton balls on me so I caught her, I put her in a test tube setup. Here are some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/p2mklXy please tell me if she is fully claustral, semi claustral, or parasitic, or if she is just a large worker if you need more pictures or pictures from different angels please tell me.

Is there a way to get a bit clearer photo? Maybe next to a common coin so I can estimate size?

It looks like a Formica spp. worker, but clear photos required to be sure.
Currently Keeping:
Camponotus floridanus
Camponotus socius
Odontomachus ruginodis
Pheidole obscurithorax
Solenopsis invicta
Tetromorium caldarium
Psedumyrmex workers

Currently founding:
Brachymyrmex sp.
Dorymyrmex bureni
Odontomachus sp.
Pheidole sp.

User avatar
Tanks19
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:23 pm
Location: USA, California

Re: A possible queen ant!

Post: # 92335Post Tanks19
Sat May 14, 2022 4:59 pm

Thanks for providing info but she has sadly died.

SolenopsisKeeper
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:41 am
Location: United States, Florida

Re: A possible queen ant!

Post: # 92337Post SolenopsisKeeper
Sat May 14, 2022 5:35 pm

Tanks19 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:59 pm
Thanks for providing info but she has sadly died.
Probably a worker… unfortunately a lot of ant species have workers that are similar to queens. Even I will get confused for a moment with some ants if it’s a queen or not, especially Ponera and Odonotmachus.

It’s good to make sure though, as recently while looking for queens, I saw what I believed to be Camponotus Floridanus minor workers… but one was a bit fast… it turns out, I missed tons of Pyramid ant queens. If only I would have caught more…
Currently Keeping:
Camponotus floridanus
Camponotus socius
Odontomachus ruginodis
Pheidole obscurithorax
Solenopsis invicta
Tetromorium caldarium
Psedumyrmex workers

Currently founding:
Brachymyrmex sp.
Dorymyrmex bureni
Odontomachus sp.
Pheidole sp.

User avatar
Tanks19
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:23 pm
Location: USA, California

Re: A possible queen ant!

Post: # 92349Post Tanks19
Sun May 15, 2022 11:18 am

Yeah, but I thought she was a queen because she was alone but she was probably just foraging. Well if I see the same kind of ants then it will be confermed.

SolenopsisKeeper
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:41 am
Location: United States, Florida

Re: A possible queen ant!

Post: # 92354Post SolenopsisKeeper
Sun May 15, 2022 11:59 am

Tanks19 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 11:18 am
Yeah, but I thought she was a queen because she was alone but she was probably just foraging. Well if I see the same kind of ants then it will be confermed.
Yeah, that’s another problem with Odontomachus. They rarely forage in groups larger than 2, and usually in groups of one. When they do forage in groups of two, it’s what antwiki describes as tandem running.
Currently Keeping:
Camponotus floridanus
Camponotus socius
Odontomachus ruginodis
Pheidole obscurithorax
Solenopsis invicta
Tetromorium caldarium
Psedumyrmex workers

Currently founding:
Brachymyrmex sp.
Dorymyrmex bureni
Odontomachus sp.
Pheidole sp.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests