AntsCanada YouTube Videos

Discussion on our AntsCanada ant videos and your suggestions for future videos

Moderators: larynx, ooper01

Martialis

Re: AntsCanada YouTube Videos

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:12 am

Batspiderfish wrote: I have tentative plans during the next North American anting season to try and show off some of the sophisticated adaptations of our local, "boring" ant genera, such as the enlarged Dufour's gland of raider Formica, which essentially lets them spread "fear gas" into the nests of the colonies that they raid. Also of interest might be the cultivation of fungi in the nests of Lasius umbratus, the generous cooperation between young Camponotus colonies and orphaned workers, the ceremonial ant wars of Tetramorium sp. E, and (of course) details about keeping our many social parasites. There are even scores of North American ants which nobody in the world has ever kept in captivity -- those seem much more interesting to me than importing somebody else's "boring" local ants.
Honestly can't wait to see these.. You might try something with winter ants, too.
Keeper of

Tetramorium sp.

Crematogaster sp.

Batspiderfish

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Martialis wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote: I have tentative plans during the next North American anting season to try and show off some of the sophisticated adaptations of our local, "boring" ant genera, such as the enlarged Dufour's gland of raider Formica, which essentially lets them spread "fear gas" into the nests of the colonies that they raid. Also of interest might be the cultivation of fungi in the nests of Lasius umbratus, the generous cooperation between young Camponotus colonies and orphaned workers, the ceremonial ant wars of Tetramorium sp. E, and (of course) details about keeping our many social parasites. There are even scores of North American ants which nobody in the world has ever kept in captivity -- those seem much more interesting to me than importing somebody else's "boring" local ants.
Honestly can't wait to see these.. You might try something with winter ants, too.
I've never seen a captive, mature Prenolepis imparis colony, and I've only found queens for the first time last year. I fear that I don't know enough about this species or how to keep them. I wonder if they are bothered by summer temperatures, since these ants nest deep underground in the wild.

A lot of people don't know this, but Prenolepis is mostly a tropical genus. Prenolepis imparis is somewhat unusual.
Links:
Rules & Requirements for Identification:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=292

How to take pictures for identification:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2167

Martialis

Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Martialis wrote:
I've never seen a captive, mature Prenolepis imparis colony, and I've only found queens for the first time last year. I fear that I don't know enough about this species or how to keep them. I wonder if they are bothered by summer temperatures, since these ants nest deep underground in the wild.

A lot of people don't know this, but Prenolepis is mostly a tropical genus. Prenolepis imparis is somewhat unusual.
Interesting. I've read they're polygonous and more so the further south in their range. I plan to catch some queens and test this.
Keeper of

Tetramorium sp.

Crematogaster sp.

Return to “AntsCanada Ant Videos, Tutorials, & Video Suggestions”