A Hybrid nest for small ants.......

Announcements & discussion on upcoming ant products. We also would like to hear your product suggestions.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

A Hybrid nest for small ants.......

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:36 pm

I was wondering if AntsCanada could make hybrid nests for ants such as Solenopsis molesta, Tapinoma melanocephalum, Brachymyrmex patagonicus, and so on. They would have small tunnels and small chambers, like they make in the wild. Also, it would be nice just to have micro holes that the ants can't climb through. :roll:
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsOfOntario

Re: A Hybrid nest for small ants.......

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:38 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
I was wondering if AntsCanada could make hybrid nests for ants such as Solenopsis molesta, Tapinoma melanocephalum, Brachymyrmex patagonicus, and so on. They would have small tunnels and small chambers, like they make in the wild. Also, it would be nice just to have micro holes that the ants can't climb through. :roll:
Yes or even just founding formicariums! I want my ants to be in an AC product but you can't put colonies inside unless if they're already huge.

colo3000

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:40 pm

AntsOfOntario wrote:
AntsDakota wrote:
Yes or even just founding formicariums! I want my ants to be in an AC product but you can't put colonies inside unless if they're already huge.
Actually a way around that is to put a digging medium like sand inside of it to make the nest the desired size, then they can expand the nest as they like.
-Colo3000

AntsOfOntario

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:11 pm

colo3000 wrote:
AntsOfOntario wrote:
AntsDakota wrote:
Actually a way around that is to put a digging medium like sand inside of it to make the nest the desired size, then they can expand the nest as they like.
Yes this is an alternative but then again think about viewing capability. I've seen cases where if you fill it up, the ants can always just keep substrate on the glass which will prevent you from seeing anything

AntsDakota

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:21 pm

AntsOfOntario wrote:
colo3000 wrote:
AntsOfOntario wrote:

Yes this is an alternative but then again think about viewing capability. I've seen cases where if you fill it up, the ants can always just keep substrate on the glass which will prevent you from seeing anything
Exactly why they should be made.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

ooper01
Head Moderator

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:15 pm

We are making a small Hybrid, the Hybrid Mini, but we are still several months away from being completed with it. There will just be one design, rather than 5 or 6, but it will fill the need of smaller colonies.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

AntsOfOntario

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:58 am

AntsDakota wrote:
AntsOfOntario wrote:
colo3000 wrote:

The addition of substrate or the new nests?

AntsDakota

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:28 pm

AntsOfOntario wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:58 am
AntsDakota wrote:
AntsOfOntario wrote:

The addition of substrate or the new nests?
No, because substrate in the nests causes poor viewing, so a smaller nest would be an excellent alternative.

AntsDakota

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:31 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:15 pm
We are making a small Hybrid, the Hybrid Mini, but we are still several months away from being completed with it. There will just be one design, rather than 5 or 6, but it will fill the need of smaller colonies.
The Royal Legion (Solenopsis molesta) will probably have a crowded setup (a test tube filled with dirt) by then. The timing will be perfect. (If I judged the colony's growth and time the minis will come out correctly, that is.)