So many poor queens

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

Cheesefish77

So many poor queens

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:25 am

I have a very large yard with various potted plants that encircle my entire house, so when I have to go out to water them every day, I usually go in the early morning to beat the heat. Unfortunately, I'm in the peak of T. immigrans nuptial flight season, so there are queen ants roaming all over the house. I've ran out of test tubes for them, and there is no way I could take the time to rescue all of them, so every morning I end up flooding and washing away queens trying to find a safe place. :cry:
Keeper of:
T. immigrans

Founding:
P. occidentalis

AntsDakota

Re: So many poor queens

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Cheesefish77 wrote:
I have a very large yard with various potted plants that encircle my entire house, so when I have to go out to water them every day, I usually go in the early morning to beat the heat. Unfortunately, I'm in the peak of T. immigrans nuptial flight season, so there are queen ants roaming all over the house. I've ran out of test tubes for them, and there is no way I could take the time to rescue all of them, so every morning I end up flooding and washing away queens trying to find a safe place. :cry:
Ants can survive under water for a hours, so they probably made it.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

TheRealAntMan

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:48 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Cheesefish77 wrote:

What ant can survive underwater for hours??????
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

AntsDakota

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:32 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:48 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
Cheesefish77 wrote:

What ant can survive underwater for hours??????
Another forum member said that when submerged underwater, ants go into an inactive state that conserves oxygen, and they wake up when dried off.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

antnest8

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 am

also according to the video fire ants vs water the brood and ants have hairs that sometimes keeps the water tension away from them and makes a small air bubble.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

TheRealAntMan

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 am

antnest8 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 am
also according to the video fire ants vs water the brood and ants have hairs that sometimes keeps the water tension away from them and makes a small air bubble.
But the air bubble doesn’t last forever and will eventually breach. While ants have defenses against water, ants aren’t made for surviving under the water for long periods of time.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

antnest8

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 am

yes sadly they aren't. it would be cool though! :D
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

PwnerPie

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Don't give up hope! Ive had an ant drown in a test tube, cleaned out that test tube and put it in a new one. It got up a few days later and everything was fine! I don't know if it is the same for all species, this one was a Myrmica.
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.