Dead colony (Help)

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

TheUltimateAnt

Dead colony (Help)

Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:59 am

My Tetramorium Immigrans colony of about 40 workers recently passed away.

They had a bit of ant nectar, water and an almond that they brought into the nest, they were feeding off of that for a while.

I checked their nest (when they had about 15 workers) and saw what seems like a new batch of eggs that had hatched, I saw about 40-50 workers in the nest, I got so excited but something seemed very wrong.

The queen was in a random chamber of the nest, laying down, deathly still, no ants were around her (extremely strange) and she has been there for the past 3 days, having not moved a muscle, I did shine a flashlight to see if she would move, nothing.
I also noticed that about half the colony was dead, near the bottom of the nest.

There are no signs that this was a parasitic death, although the colony had a problem in the past, most likely parasitic, so I have a feeling that could be part of the issue. very strange occurrence.

Some of the workers are foraging, others are in one large group, but now I am left with the question
With half of the colony and the queen now dead, what do I do?
I have an outworld, and an ac tower connected to the nest, so how would I.. I guess clean it? you know, remove the dead ants from the nest. and how would I know if there are any remaining ants in the outworld and ac tower? they could have corpses or living ants in the bushes or whatever (my fault for having a patchy area like that) I just need help.
hi

antperson24

Re: Dead colony (Help)

Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:45 am

TheUltimateAnt wrote:

They had a bit of ant nectar, water and an almond that they brought into the nest, they were feeding off of that for a while.

I checked their nest (when they had about 15 workers) and saw what seems like a new batch of eggs that had hatched, I saw about 40-50 workers in the nest, I got so excited but something seemed very wrong.

The queen was in a random chamber of the nest, laying down, deathly still, no ants were around her (extremely strange) and she has been there for the past 3 days, having not moved a muscle, I did shine a flashlight to see if she would move, nothing.
I also noticed that about half the colony was dead, near the bottom of the nest.

There are no signs that this was a parasitic death, although the colony had a problem in the past, most likely parasitic, so I have a feeling that could be part of the issue. very strange occurrence.

Some of the workers are foraging, others are in one large group, but now I am left with the question
I have an outworld, and an ac tower connected to the nest, so how would I.. I guess clean it? you know, remove the dead ants from the nest. and how would I know if there are any remaining ants in the outworld and ac tower? they could have corpses or living ants in the bushes or whatever (my fault for having a patchy area like that) I just need help.
Were the almonds you were feeding them organic? The ants should clean up the dead bodies, but the colony will no longer grow without the queen, but if you want you can just keep them until all the workers die you can. They will probably only survive another 3 months or so.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

TheUltimateAnt

Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:59 am

antperson24 wrote:
TheUltimateAnt wrote:

Were the almonds you were feeding them organic? The ants should clean up the dead bodies, but the colony will no longer grow without the queen, but if you want you can just keep them until all the workers die you can. They will probably only survive another 3 months or so.
Yep, all organic.
hi

antperson24

Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:04 pm

TheUltimateAnt wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
TheUltimateAnt wrote:

Yep, all organic.
Did they have access to water?

TheUltimateAnt

Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:11 pm

antperson24 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:04 pm
TheUltimateAnt wrote:
antperson24 wrote:

Yep, all organic.
Did they have access to water?
Yes, in the nest, and liquid feeders ( I have evidence of them using them)
hi

TheUltimateAnt

Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:00 am

antperson24 wrote:

They haven't cleaned up the dead workers, they are just sitting in the nest.
hi

antperson24

Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:16 pm

TheUltimateAnt wrote:
antperson24 wrote:

Well maybe since the queen is dead they of lost their purpose in life, so maybe they wont klean up the bodies.

TheUltimateAnt

Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:25 pm

antperson24 wrote:
TheUltimateAnt wrote:
antperson24 wrote:

Well maybe since the queen is dead they of lost their purpose in life, so maybe they wont klean up the bodies.
Thats pretty grim.. so how would I go about cleaning the bodys up from the nest? its a hybrid nest but the glass is permanently glued on
hi

antperson24

Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:54 am

TheUltimateAnt wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
TheUltimateAnt wrote:

Thats pretty grim.. so how would I go about cleaning the bodys up from the nest? its a hybrid nest but the glass is permanently glued on
I don't think you need to, If they feel the need they will.

TheUltimateAnt

Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:21 pm

antperson24 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:54 am
TheUltimateAnt wrote:
antperson24 wrote:

I don't think you need to, If they feel the need they will.
Parasitic death??

Yellow Maggot looking things are latched onto the queen and are inside of it, and fungi is growing on her.

I want to dispose of the colony, I felt so sick doing this but I plugged off all the tubing, some ants are trapped in the tower, outworld, and nest.
How would I clear them out? I dont need parasites secretly living in my setups to kill my next colony.
hi