HELP! I DROWNED HALF OF MY COLONY!

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

CamponotusGuy

HELP! I DROWNED HALF OF MY COLONY!

Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:55 pm

Hi. I have a founding Formica colony at about 2 workers and some brood. They seemed to be doing well at first. That was until I accidentally drowned one worker and some brood, the queen was so stressed out that it ate all the brood and only her and 1 worker is remaining. What should I do to revive the colony? Help appreciated!!!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: HELP! I DROWNED HALF OF MY COLONY!

Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:11 pm

CamponotusGuy wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:55 pm
Hi. I have a founding Formica colony at about 2 workers and some brood. They seemed to be doing well at first. That was until I accidentally drowned one worker and some brood, the queen was so stressed out that it ate all the brood and only her and 1 worker is remaining. What should I do to revive the colony? Help appreciated!!!
Feed them persistently is key. I just read a topic where someone revived a Camponotus colony who went form 6 workers to none, queen alone the colony grew again.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

CamponotusGuy

Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am

So should I feed them protein and/or carbohydrates? I fed the ants daily with sugar water but no protein yet. But I can see my queen is starting to lay eggs again.

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:29 am

CamponotusGuy wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am
So should I feed them protein and/or carbohydrates? I fed the ants daily with sugar water but no protein yet. But I can see my queen is starting to lay eggs again.
Feed them protein so the new workers on the way will be stronger, bigger, and have a longer life span.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…