Camponotus castaneus

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

Darren

Camponotus castaneus

Thu May 26, 2022 8:06 pm

I just got in to ant keeping and I got a colony of Camponotus castaneus last saturday morning. there is 60+ workers and queen but since I've gotten them I notice some of the ants have what I would consider broken legs I assume from the move ( over an hour drive but same state and all gan rules were followed) Is this normal for some ants to may get a little injured in the move. I have had 4 deaths in the past week and I'm wondering if i should worry? They are housed in test tube portal and hybrid nest mini(i'll be upgrading soon) i also got a small bug crate I put aquarium gravel in for now until my ac outworld gets here.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Camponotus castaneus

Fri May 27, 2022 11:28 am

Darren wrote:
I just got in to ant keeping and I got a colony of Camponotus castaneus last saturday morning. there is 60+ workers and queen but since I've gotten them I notice some of the ants have what I would consider broken legs I assume from the move ( over an hour drive but same state and all gan rules were followed) Is this normal for some ants to may get a little injured in the move. I have had 4 deaths in the past week and I'm wondering if i should worry? They are housed in test tube portal and hybrid nest mini(i'll be upgrading soon) i also got a small bug crate I put aquarium gravel in for now until my ac outworld gets here.
Did you collect them or buy them? It is normal for Camponotus nantics to die off, not to worry. If more than 15 ants die, I would start to ask around, ask the seller. The one that have trouble walking usually are signs of near death, unless they are missing legs.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Darren

Sat May 28, 2022 6:19 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Darren wrote:
Did you collect them or buy them? It is normal for Camponotus nantics to die off, not to worry. If more than 15 ants die, I would start to ask around, ask the seller. The one that have trouble walking usually are signs of near death, unless they are missing legs.
Thank you for the information I bought them off of a Gan farmer.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun May 29, 2022 11:28 am

Darren wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:19 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Darren wrote:
Thank you for the information I bought them off of a Gan farmer.
How old is the colony?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…