I capture an Ant queen but she died

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

JustSebas17

I capture an Ant queen but she died

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:17 am

The other wednesday I capture a Queen ant, I put it in a little test tube setup. She didn't like it so as my last option, I took a cup, then put some dirt and got the queen there. She liked, an hour later she broke her wings off and start making her claustral chamber.Then this Sunday, I made a T-shape nest filled with dirt, Then I was excavating the cup with a lot of care, but then, I watched horrofied... The queen was dead!; Her gaster was deflated.

Do anyone know what happend to her?

SYUTEO

Re: I capture an Ant queen but she died

Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:38 am

Was the dirt too dry or too wet? And what species was she?

AM1C39

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:48 am

Well first of all after a queen or a big worker have been dead for a litle while (like about 5 days) their gaster naturally deflates. And because of this she probably died a couple days after you put her in, witch would most likely mean she died because she was infertile. Better luck next time.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

JustSebas17

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:37 am

AM1C39 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:48 am
Well first of all after a queen or a big worker have been dead for a litle while (like about 5 days) their gaster naturally deflates. And because of this she probably died a couple days after you put her in, witch would most likely mean she died because she was infertile. Better luck next time.
Thanks man! For the time I get my queen I´ll be able to see her in the T-shaped ant nest. And a lot of thanks for the new information to be aware of my future queens!