Advice for camponotus pennsylvanicus queen

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

NervousTwitch

Advice for camponotus pennsylvanicus queen

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:26 pm

Hey guys new to the forum so I'm not sure if this is the exact place to put this question. Essentially over the summer I got a camponotus pennsylvanicus- carpenter ant- queen from an overnight bug collecting trip throughout the summer she was doing well and laying eggs in a test tube set up but then I moved back to my college house and during the move she ate her first Nanitic and also the rest of the brood as all of them just essentially disappeared overnight. I'm assuming she cannibalized them. I have her now in an AC hybrid nest designed for camponotus species. I also have a heating pad right above it, so that way it stays warm through the hybrid nest and I've also been hydrating the hybrid nest as well. However no new eggs or anything like that she essentially just sits there and does nothing. Is there anything I can do in order to help her get the egg processed moving? Any advice would be a appreciated.

CombinedHalo467

Re: Advice for camponotus pennsylvanicus queen

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:59 pm

she probably just needs to settle down im very new to ants but my advice let her be in a dark undisurbed place and maybeif you tink necessary feed her a drop of honey but thats just my opinion gl
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

CombinedHalo467

Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:00 pm

oh another thing if yousearch up camponotus crew on this forum there would be a good place to put this question i think they would know more
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

Kenechirino

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:42 am

This was in oct 1 but im still putting a reply for people who has the same problem

Reason why she cannibalized the brood
1) she got stressed out probably because of all the vibration thats why you dont wanna keep checking the queen / give her a road trip

2) not enough food to feed the brood ( just a theory )
Hello I keep only 1 colony, a pharaoh ant colony. Its small but one day its gonna be huge :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D