Found a dead queen outside

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

SansTheComic

Found a dead queen outside

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:10 pm

So, it's not my ant, but I found a dead queen (might be tetramorium but idk) in front of my house outside around the entrance of what I think is a small tetramorium colony. I want to know why she was there. Do ants throw out their queen when they die? Or could it be a different queen they killed?

antzamerica

Re: Found a dead queen outside

Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:59 pm

It could be a parasitic species that attempted to take over a colony but failed. Or it may be a queen that just died randomly? Whatever the case, R.I.P that queen. (Continue reading if your fine with getting heart broken) I was once checking my pool filter expecting to find the usual, leafs, random sand, disgusting goo, and a couple of wasps, but what I found was disturbing. (Last chance) I found around 50-250 dead alates. I was very sad because they seemed to be Camponotus Castaneus (Species I really wanted).

SansTheComic

Re: Found a dead queen outside

Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:28 pm

That's unfortunate. Yeah I put the queen back where I found her and they didn't do anything with her so that's probably what happened