Two deaths and a fake death

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

AntSquirrel

Two deaths and a fake death

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:28 am

So I'm still fairly new to ant keeping, but so far I have caught seven ant queens two have recently been producing workers! But I've lost two along the way so far.

Stubby actually survived much longer than I thought she would. She had three legs, only these legs were only one segment long. Hence the name, stubby. In addition she had no antennae, my guess she got in a fight with another queen. I expected her to likely die within a few hours, as she couldn't even walk, but I decided to give her a chance. To my surprise she survived about a week or two as I remember, and even had a good pile of eggs! Unfortunately she wasn't able to take care of herself or her eggs well enough and passed away. But she fought longer than anyone expected.

Then there was Silver, she was generally agitated a lot and didn't much care about her eggs. But then one day I found her standing motionless, clamped down on the cotton ball in her test tube. . . With greyish blue-green mold bursting out of her exoskeleton. I didn't wait to see if it grew a mushroom like in the pictures. Parasitic molds like that make me feel sick just by thinking about them.

And finally, Bronze. So, Huge amounts of mold grew in her test tube, and at the time she had larva before any of my other queens, so I was hopeful about her, but I didn't want the little ones to be around so much mold and have no clean water. So I tried to move them to a new, clean test tube. But unintentionally the sun was shining right on the test tube, which caused it to very quickly over heat. In a matter of minutes she was flailing her limbs around and throwing up. Shortly after she flipped onto her back and curled up. Dead. Or so I thought. I rushed her into the shade and was devastated.
I was still in shock about the whole situation so I put off cleaning out the test tube for a few days. And finally when I went to clean it out. . . She was alive! Partly paralyzed! But alive! I quickly got her into a new clean test tube (Safely this time) and waited. Over time she regained control over her paralyzed limbs, aside from the front two. But after many weeks she got those back too and is back to moving properly. However she's yet to lay new eggs. I've fed her, as I'm sure this whole mess cost her a lot of resources. I intend to keep her for as long as I can. Whether she lays eggs or not I will try to make things comfortable for her.
Camponotus Modoc Queens:
Gold: Four workers
Bronze: It's complicated
Silver: Gone :,<

Tetramorium Caespitum Queens:
Rose: 5-6 workers
Iris: Likely not fertile
Wings: Almost certainly not fertile
Stubby: Gone :,<

Goldendoodle50

Re:All ccamponotus ???

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:33 pm

I am a starter but :mrgreen: ,
but I never had mold grow often on my test tube.. actually I never had mold grow in my test-tube
_____________________________________________________________________________________
-Keeper of unspecified camponotus or tetramorium queen x2
-keeper of lasius neoniger x1

JustABitAntsy

Re: Two deaths and a fake death

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:59 pm

AntSquirrel wrote:
So I'm still fairly new to ant keeping, but so far I have caught seven ant queens two have recently been producing workers! But I've lost two along the way so far.

Stubby actually survived much longer than I thought she would. She had three legs, only these legs were only one segment long. Hence the name, stubby. In addition she had no antennae, my guess she got in a fight with another queen. I expected her to likely die within a few hours, as she couldn't even walk, but I decided to give her a chance. To my surprise she survived about a week or two as I remember, and even had a good pile of eggs! Unfortunately she wasn't able to take care of herself or her eggs well enough and passed away. But she fought longer than anyone expected.

Then there was Silver, she was generally agitated a lot and didn't much care about her eggs. But then one day I found her standing motionless, clamped down on the cotton ball in her test tube. . . With greyish blue-green mold bursting out of her exoskeleton. I didn't wait to see if it grew a mushroom like in the pictures. Parasitic molds like that make me feel sick just by thinking about them.

And finally, Bronze. So, Huge amounts of mold grew in her test tube, and at the time she had larva before any of my other queens, so I was hopeful about her, but I didn't want the little ones to be around so much mold and have no clean water. So I tried to move them to a new, clean test tube. But unintentionally the sun was shining right on the test tube, which caused it to very quickly over heat. In a matter of minutes she was flailing her limbs around and throwing up. Shortly after she flipped onto her back and curled up. Dead. Or so I thought. I rushed her into the shade and was devastated.
I was still in shock about the whole situation so I put off cleaning out the test tube for a few days. And finally when I went to clean it out. . . She was alive! Partly paralyzed! But alive! I quickly got her into a new clean test tube (Safely this time) and waited. Over time she regained control over her paralyzed limbs, aside from the front two. But after many weeks she got those back too and is back to moving properly. However she's yet to lay new eggs. I've fed her, as I'm sure this whole mess cost her a lot of resources. I intend to keep her for as long as I can. Whether she lays eggs or not I will try to make things comfortable for her.
awwwww poor stubby and silver :c glad bronze survived though
New antkeeper in Virginia currently doesn’t have a colony plan to start next Spring :lol:
Join the Forelius Clan https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15975

Antmanboy

Re: Two deaths and a fake death

Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:34 pm

AntSquirrel wrote:

How are your queen ants doing?just curious on how bronze is.I also know that this is a sort of old post but I hope you answer.