Disorientation from Heat?

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

NewANTman

Disorientation from Heat?

Sun May 19, 2019 6:09 pm

I have a queen camponotus discolor that was in my car for a couple hours and the temperature outside rose to about 85 degrees before I realized my mistake. At first she didn't move but 2 minutes later once inside she started moving and stumbling around. She fell several times and couldn't roll over in her test tube set up so I have placed her in a leafy woody nest area with her tube inside in hopes she is ok. Do y'all think she will be fine? Will her eggs be ok? will she lay more eggs? I would appreciate any advice. This is my first queen.

WillWithAnts

Re: Disorientation from Heat?

Mon May 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Welcome to the forum! She is probably okay. Do you have her in a dark, quiet test tube setup now?

JoeHostile1

Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 am

She sounds done to me. From my experience they can not recover from being cooked.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

AntSquirrel

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Something similar happened to my Camponotus Modoc Queen. She was one of the first three queen ants I caught. It only took a few minutes of sunlight accidentally shining on her test tube on a hot day. She threw up, then flopped on her back and did the curled up thing a bunch of bugs and arachnids do when they die.
But a day or two later she shocked everyone and was stumbling around. She couldn't move all of her legs at first, but after several weeks she was moving around like normal again! I fed her recently and I'm still waiting to see if she'll lay any new eggs, as her larva didn't make it. It's been weeks and there's been no signs of any eggs, but the weather is just starting to start the changes to winter weather here. So she may be waiting until spring to try again. I talked a little bit more about this in my thread "Two Deaths and a Fake Death"
I'll be sure to let you know if my queen ends up laying more eggs! I hope yours gets better too! Don't give up just yet!
Camponotus Modoc Queens:
Gold: Four workers
Bronze: It's complicated
Silver: Gone :,<

Tetramorium Caespitum Queens:
Rose: 5-6 workers
Iris: Likely not fertile
Wings: Almost certainly not fertile
Stubby: Gone :,<