Accidentally crushed a worker

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

maliqua

Accidentally crushed a worker

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:19 pm

I know this isn't quite on par with a colony loss, but i just accidentally crushed a worker to death with my suasage fingers and feel horrible.

at first i thought it wasn't dead because it was still moving a lot (ganglia i guess) upon putting him in a bunch of other workers tried to get its attention but the dragged him off to the garbage pile instead.

Never thought killing a single ant would make me sad, but here we are. (the colony is small but should be fine 30+ workers still)

idahoantgirl

Re: Accidentally crushed a worker

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Wait till you are faced with the task of moving a colony of thousands with lots of connections that need to be taken apart and then forced back into other connections. Casualties are inevitable. I personally don't feel for the individual, mostly the superorginism as a whole
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

maliqua

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:58 pm

THE LITTLE BUGGER JUST WALKED OUT OF THE GARBAGE PILE AND BACK TO THE NEST!

well limped

Hunter36o

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:11 am

She is going back to her sister to give them s**t over dragging her to the grave with out confirming her death. Oh yeah all ur workers are female 😁
Like think about it if they were all male the ants would not be as clean and as organised xD
I am a dude btw so do not think I am being sexist πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

idahoantgirl

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:25 am

Hunter36o wrote: ↑
She is going back to her sister to give them s**t over dragging her to the grave with out confirming her death. Oh yeah all ur workers are female 😁
Like think about it if they were all male the ants would not be as clean and as organised xD
Please refrain from swearing, even when abbreviated.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

antnest8

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:32 am

idahoantgirl wrote: ↑
thanks idahoantgirl
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Hunter36o

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:20 am

Just for records sake. Telling an Irish person not to curse is the equivalent of telling an Irish person not to be them selves. I actively try not to curse because the world is easily offended and I apologize for the odd slip up as it is just who we are but just now it's actually culturally accepted in Ireland to be honest to one's self and others and curse, as long as you are not being aggressive towards someone it is considered honesty.

Just a fair warning for anyone who wants to visit Ireland but have sensitive ears to cursing.
At the same time if you do go, just listen carefully and you will quickly learn how to distinguish casual from aggressive.
Like I said tho I'll actively try to control my speech and I do give sincere apologies on this matter.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

antnest8

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 am

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:20 am
Just for records sake. Telling an Irish person not to curse is the equivalent of telling an Irish person not to be them selves. I actively try not to curse because the world is easily offended and I apologize for the odd slip up as it is just who we are but just now it's actually culturally accepted in Ireland to be honest to one's self and others and curse, as long as you are not being aggressive towards someone it is considered honesty.

Just a fair warning for anyone who wants to visit Ireland but have sensitive ears to cursing.
At the same time if you do go, just listen carefully and you will quickly learn how to distinguish casual from aggressive.
Like I said tho I'll actively try to control my speech and I do give sincere apologies on this matter.
It's fine man. :)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Hunter36o

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:46 am

Not going to lie, I did not know what species CREMATOGASTER was (caps are cos I copied and pasted from your signature haha sorry)
So I looked them up and they are one of the cutest ants I have ever seen in my life you lucky dog you!!!
I wonder if I can convince my missus and son to move country so we can learn more about different ant species outside of our Irish few. They are aborable and their little abdomens!! I know the wiki says they are kinda heart shaped but they look more like little ace of spades running around. Omg I'm in love (sorry pirate ants I still love you too lol)

MollysAnts

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:24 am

Haha that's really funny! 🀣🐜