Camponotus Vicinus Nantics Dying?

Let us know of your ant colonies or queens that have passed away. We will grieve together but will also learn why your ants may not have succeeded.

Moderator: ooper01

MalCeren

Camponotus Vicinus Nantics Dying?

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:06 pm

I am fairly new to ant keeping on my 2nd year now and am working on my first 3 Camponotus Vicinus Queens, I have a fairly successful but young Tetramorium colony that is thriving. 2 of my Camponotus Queens all of which were found within 1 week are doing just fine and have 1 and 3 Nantics with eggs in both. The other queen had 5 nantics eggs and larva and appeared to be doing the best of all 3. I check on them once every 2 weeks for a brief time to make sure they are healthy. Within the past 2 days I checked twice due to noticing the 1st dead nantic to see a 2nd one a day later. I did a bunch of research hoping I hadn't mistaken a fully claustral ant for a semi claustral. I ended up connecting their tube (all of my equipment is AntsCanada) to the small chamber used for semi claustral ants and offered a crushed Dubia roach nymph. One nantic went at it right away so I connected a tube with honey water to the other side and she went after that to. Everything I've read indicates these are fully claustral so I'm quite confused. Was I starving them? Have I missed something vital? The tube of water is clean not a drop of mold I was very thorough in checking. Any help is appreciated I don't want to kill them through ignorance!

TheRealAntMan

Re: Camponotus Vicinus Nantics Dying?

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:38 pm

They are fully cluastral only during the founding stage. After the the first nanatic arrives you should feed the a small drop of honey. And then when there are 5 nanatics you should give the a small protein like a roach leg or a cut up superworm. I recommend honey or sugar water is give every 3-4 days and protein every 5-6 days.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

MalCeren

Re: Camponotus Vicinus Nantics Dying?

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:43 pm

Thank you very much I misunderstood completely I hope I have corrected my mistake quickly enough to save the 3rd queen the other 2 are doing ok and now I know what to do. Thank you very much!