Pheidole Super-Majors

Posts relating to ant science

Moderator: ooper01

TheAntOfficer

Pheidole Super-Majors

Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:24 pm

Can a Pheidole colony get Super-Majors? If they can, when will they get Super-Majors? How many Super-Majors will a colony get?
I currently have an unknown sp. of Pheidole as I cannot identify them and I cannot take clear pics because my phone is garbage and i dont know ow to use a camera? Ill try to take a pic of the minors and majors in the colony.
Sad beginner with a dead queen and a dying pheidole colony :cry:
Maybe an upcoming Yellow Crazy ant colony owner!

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Pheidole Super-Majors

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:11 am

Hey,
If I read correctly they do have super majors. But as it is with many ant species with Super majors they need resources / food. So if you feed them enough protein and honey / sugar water, then they should start laying super major eggs. Give it a try and see if your colony start making them.

Of course don't over feed them. They will take their time to grow, etc.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SYUTEO

Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:09 am

I only know one species of Pheidole in southeast asia that has supermajors and I'm not sure if that species lives in the Philippines. Not all species of Pheidole have supermajors.

TheAntOfficer

Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:07 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
I only know one species of Pheidole in southeast asia that has supermajors and I'm not sure if that species lives in the Philippines. Not all species of Pheidole have supermajors.
Whats the sp? Ill look it up in antwiki.org :!:
Sad beginner with a dead queen and a dying pheidole colony :cry:
Maybe an upcoming Yellow Crazy ant colony owner!

SYUTEO

Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:10 pm

TheAntOfficer wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:07 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
Whats the sp? Ill look it up in antwiki.org :!:
Actually I don't know the species name, I saw this species while doing some research and the author of the website also doesn't know the species name. Here's the link to that website: https://termitesandants.blogspot.com/2014/04/pheidole-sp.html

Not sure if you count it as a 'supermajor' though.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:22 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Hey,
If I read correctly they do have super majors. But as it is with many ant species with Super majors they need resources / food. So if you feed them enough protein and honey / sugar water, then they should start laying super major eggs. Give it a try and see if your colony start making them.

If I remember correctly, a recent study showed that caste depended on diet in larvae,that’s why they theorize majors live longer. I could probably find the paper again, but I won’t make promises. With my Campo, I am feeding them fat filled flies and they have a major cocoon and only have 12 workers.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:35 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Hey,

If I remember correctly, a recent study showed that caste depended on diet in larvae,that’s why they theorize majors live longer. I could probably find the paper again, but I won’t make promises. With my Campo, I am feeding them fat filled flies and they have a major cocoon and only have 12 workers.
i stuffed my phiedole sp. once and they exploded in major population so i am assuming that more food helps
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:09 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Hey,

i stuffed my phiedole sp. once and they exploded in major population so i am assuming that more food helps
In a year I bet the theory on how a queen becomes a queen based on diet will change

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:46 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

In a year I bet the theory on how a queen becomes a queen based on diet will change
i bet that isn't possible. i mean, a queen can't lay a worker egg that then turns into an alate... that is genetically wrong... or am I wrong?
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:19 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:46 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:

i bet that isn't possible. i mean, a queen can't lay a worker egg that then turns into an alate... that is genetically wrong... or am I wrong?
It’s a current debate between the amount of portion fed to a larvae and some chemical in the ants brain. I lean towards protein Becuase if you inject a nantic brood with high amounts of protein, it can become a super major.