dracula ant sucking pupae

Posts relating to ant science

Moderator: ooper01

adude101

dracula ant sucking pupae

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:04 am

okay I find in source at google but never find an answer why Dracula ant drinking the haemolymph of the pupa? what is the benefit to the adult and pupae of the Dracula ant?

antnest8

Re: dracula ant sucking pupae

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:08 pm

it is just a product of evolution some were in time ants found that they can "store" food in their pupa and eat the haemolymph for food. I think that the adult ants would benefit from have a "storage" for food.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Hunter36o

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:11 am

As mentioned above its due to evolution.

The best way to figure out why evolution made these choices is to first establish where their native territory lays in this world. After that is done you trace back as far as possible once you can find a historic timeline you agree is plausible for the evolutionary advancement started taking you, you will begin to discover/ theorise why nature took the course that is did.

My best guess without doing that research is a mix of climate and really low food supplies, canabilisim (sorry for miss spelling) most likely took place first but killing off members of the colony would have made colony growth a seriously hard task to achieve. To which point they released/ evolved to drink small amounts of blood belonging to their colony while also being approtunistic and feed of recently injured or killing insect and other creatures blood when possible.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Also ant storage due evolution came in the form of social stomachs. These are like portable fridges that keeps food fresh for ants. A better part of this evolution came in the form of repleted, not sure if I have spelt that right bit these repleted have basically elasticated abdomens and they really fill up their social stomacks. In Africa, native humans eat these repleted for their concentrated honey dew in the swollen abdomens. You can find example of these ants in honey pot and false honey pot ants.
But that is basically the evolution of ant storage. Completely separate as to why Dracula ants eat their siblings blood.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.