Locations specializing in Myrmecology

Posts relating to ant science

Moderator: ooper01

Whitelotus

Locations specializing in Myrmecology

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:03 pm

I was wondering if anyone on the forums knows of any institutions or labs that specialize in studying ants? I would like to transfer to a university that is known for their work in the world of Myrmecology.
If anyone has any advice or knows any professional within the field, any input will be helpful.

MorbidBugg

Re: Locations specializing in Myrmecology

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:16 am

Great question I'd love to know as well. There's apparently (as I don't know personally) good etymology departments around the glove. I'm assuming your asking for north America US specifically? Texas has a good one from what I've read as does I believe it's florida and California. Which schools again I cannot say specifically as I haven't done too much research. However I can tell you the UofT is where I got my ant keys and they seem exceptionally accurate and that's a good sign. If your willing to go out of country toronto and BC both have a decent entomologist departments in canada.

As for specifically targeting myrmecology specifically I'm not too sure but Imma keep an eye out with you it's a great question.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

antnest8

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:43 pm

just looking at antmaps i can see that HARVARD has about 30% of all the samples. other than that i think i saw some OHIO STATE samples too.

not that antmaps is the most reliable source...
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Hunter36o

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:24 pm

If anyone knows any good/ well respected one in Europe that would be great. Here in Ireland I cannot find anything or anyone on myrmecology (heck myrmecology is not even in my phone's dictionary -.- ) other than Fergus O'Rourke who sadly passed in 2010. So I have no one to contact and no accurate access to Irish ants what so ever other then some species name.
Our big old Dublin zoo is dreadful in terms of insects and have no reference points since the passing of Fergus O'Rourke that I am aware off.
It's frustrating because although not my reason for wanting a contact of some sort. A Lasius Niger in Ireland will not be the same as Lasius Niger in Germany. Do not get me wrong they will be very similar in most ways but it's the smaller differences that fascinated me.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.