Locations specializing in Myrmecology

Posts relating to ant science

Moderator: ooper01

Whitelotus

Locations specializing in Myrmecology

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:03 pm

I was wondering if anyone on the forums knows of any institutions or labs that specialize in studying ants? I would like to transfer to a university that is known for their work in the world of Myrmecology.
If anyone has any advice or knows any professional within the field, any input will be helpful.
Keeping
1 x Tetramorium caespitum

MorbidBugg

Re: Locations specializing in Myrmecology

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:16 am

Great question I'd love to know as well. There's apparently (as I don't know personally) good etymology departments around the glove. I'm assuming your asking for north America US specifically? Texas has a good one from what I've read as does I believe it's florida and California. Which schools again I cannot say specifically as I haven't done too much research. However I can tell you the UofT is where I got my ant keys and they seem exceptionally accurate and that's a good sign. If your willing to go out of country toronto and BC both have a decent entomologist departments in canada.

As for specifically targeting myrmecology specifically I'm not too sure but Imma keep an eye out with you it's a great question.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

antnest8

Re: Locations specializing in Myrmecology

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:43 pm

just looking at antmaps i can see that HARVARD has about 30% of all the samples. other than that i think i saw some OHIO STATE samples too.

not that antmaps is the most reliable source...
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony
!!And A CREMATOGASTER QUEEN!!

Return to “Myrmecology, Laboratory/Field Work, Publications, Documentaries”