When Do I feed Queen Ant

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

BKblazeking

When Do I feed Queen Ant

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Hello I am BKBlazeking! I have just caught a queen ant yesterday and I am wondering when I should feed the queen. She does not have any eggs nor workers.

Batspiderfish

Re: When Do I feed Queen Ant

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:49 pm

One sugar meal before sealing her up in the test tube (if she is "fully" claustral). Put it on the cotton or on a tray so that it doesn't make a mess.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

PwnerPie

Re: When Do I feed Queen Ant

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:49 pm
One sugar meal before sealing her up in the test tube (if she is "fully" claustral). Put it on the cotton or on a tray so that it doesn't make a mess.
Agreed! Honey is generally best because it does not mold so you do not need to clean it up, and the queen can eat more later if she gets hungry.

I have started putting a small bit of protein in with new queens as well, so far it has seemed to work well. But you do have to clean it up after a few days which does disturb her.
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.