Non-Bug Protein Sources?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Captain

Re: Non-Bug Protein Sources?

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:49 pm

We have a Camponotus sp. queen and a major that came from an established colony (rescued before colony was poisoned by a neighbor). We put them in a test tube set-up and she now has 8 workers and numerous larvae and pupae. We have been feeding them pre-killed moth larvae and honey for a treat. Tonight my son gave them a tiny piece of raw salmon over my objection... the major has had a feast and has shared with queen and workers via her social stomach — I’ve been enjoying watching for a while... and wondering if salmon is ok...?

antnest8

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:03 pm

i've heard that ants can eat meats its just mostly i've heard only cooked meat...

it probably would be ok. but still just to be safe i would cook it.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

JoeHostile1

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:36 am

Captain wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:49 pm
Tonight my son gave them a tiny piece of raw salmon over my objection... the major has had a feast and has shared with queen and workers via her social stomach — I’ve been enjoying watching for a while... and wondering if salmon is ok...?
I’ve never givin my ants raw salmon, but my tetramorium colony absolutely loves cooked salmon and I give them some every time I have some.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Hunter36o

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:36 am

I just had great results from a piece of cooked ham so any kind of meat seems to be accepted once cooked.
If you ants are eating the salmon then I would assume it is okay as I believe ants won't eat what they don't want or like. They are not like dogs who will anything, ants can be picky so if you find a food they will eat happy days :)
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

TheAura

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:48 am

Anybody know If i can feed tetramorium cooked chicken

idahoantgirl

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:22 pm

TheAura wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:48 am
Anybody know If i can feed tetramorium cooked chicken
yes, as a *****
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsDakota

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:12 pm

JadamJedi wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:17 am
I just grab a spade and spend about an hour or two every Sunday digging around or overturning logs.

Ants love termites, termites are everywhere btw. Oh and spiders are everywhere two.

But my colony isn't past the first workers yet.

I have been keeping wolf spiders and brown and black widows, however, and you'd be surprised how many bugs are out there just waiting to get eaten lols
Thank God I don't have termites by my house! I prefer to feed flies or spiders myself.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

TheAura

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Experimenting with slim jim and other meat sticks

TheAura

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Pavement ants seem to do just fine on "Big Beef Chevy" which is a meatstick similar to Slim Jim. However, ants probably would benefit from insects as they are more protein dense

PAants

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:51 am

CampoKing wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:28 pm
I personally use the freeze-dried bugs for sale as reptile food (such as Fluker's® Freeze Dried Medley). I just rehydrate the bugs in water, and my Carpenter ants love them. Hope that helps.
How do you rehydrate them? Just dip them in some water, or something more involved?