Can you feed ants Phoenix Worms?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

ArgentineAnt

Can you feed ants Phoenix Worms?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am

Hi everyone! I recently caught a queen ant in my home in AZ, USA, and was wondering what the best food for a young ant colony would be? I came up with Phoenix worms, since they're cheap, (more or less), and don't have very much chitin. Plus they're really nutritious, and last about1-2 months. What would you guys recommend I do?

Alex07

Re: Can you feed ants Phoenix Worms?

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:45 pm

How did this work out for you? I have calci worms I'm about to try.

LasiusSapien

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:39 am

if it was me i'd cut them in half so the ants can boar them out from the inside :D
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Hawkeye

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:08 am

ArgentineAnt wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am
Hi everyone! I recently caught a queen ant in my home in AZ, USA, and was wondering what the best food for a young ant colony would be? I came up with Phoenix worms, since they're cheap, (more or less), and don't have very much chitin. Plus they're really nutritious, and last about1-2 months. What would you guys recommend I do?
I'd say that would be a good (additional) source of protein indeed. Mind you, to provide your ants with a varied diet, you'd probably want to offer other protein-rich sources as well. If you solely offer the worms, they will eventually lose interest and won't feed off them anymore.

Alex07

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:57 am

Too anyone interested I put a calciworm (half of one) and a smashed cricket and the girls went for the cricket. I've given them options Everytime and they always go for the crickets... They grab it and stuff it in the back of the test tube Everytime and leave the other stuff untouched. They also prefer honey water over sugar water.

I have a starting camponotus nicbarensis crew that I'm referring to.

LasiusSapien

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:22 am

Alex07 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:57 am
Too anyone interested I put a calciworm (half of one) and a smashed cricket and the girls went for the cricket. I've given them options Everytime and they always go for the crickets... They grab it and stuff it in the back of the test tube Everytime and leave the other stuff untouched. They also prefer honey water over sugar water.

I have a starting camponotus nicbarensis crew that I'm referring to.
hmm interesting perhaps in the wild for these ladies worms are less nutritious than bugs and the like have you tryed the worm on it own just to see?
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Alex07

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:30 pm

No, I'm trying to learn what they prefer so they usually get two options. Maybe the wrong thing to do idk I'm learning as I go. I'll try just the calciworm next feeding and report my findings.

Thanks