Human foods safe for Sugar Ants?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

princet

Human foods safe for Sugar Ants?

Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:55 am

Within the next few years or so, I'm planning on keeping Sugar Ants, Camponotus Consobrinus. While of course I will regularly feed them a normal diet, for occasional treats I thought it might be fun (for me) and enriching (for the ants) to sometimes get them some sugary human foods that they're infamous for seeking out. Like, give them a candy cane on Christmas or a spoonful of cake on my birthday sorta thing.

Are there any foods or chemicals found in foods that ants Should Not Eat Ever? Like, stuff with citric acid, certain food colourings, humectants, things like that? It'd really suck to give them a treat that ends up making them sick or killing them.

Additionally, if anyone knows a good rate to feed them insects vs sugars, I'd appreciate that. There are very few sources on Sugar Ants, since they're often considered pests (despite being native here), and there aren't many sources on Australian ants in general (and trying to look up local ants is a minefield because there's a fire ant problem currently). Thank you!

yvonne910rhodes

Re: Human foods safe for Sugar Ants?

Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:08 am

princet wrote:
Within the next few years or so, I'm planning on keeping Sugar Ants, Camponotus Consobrinus. While of course I will regularly feed them a normal diet, for occasional treats I thought it might be fun (for me) and enriching (for the ants) to sometimes get them some sugary human foods that they're infamous for seeking out. Like, give them a candy cane on Christmas or a spoonful of cake on my birthday sorta thing.

Are there any foods or chemicals found in foods that ants Should Not Eat Ever? Like, stuff with citric acid, certain food colourings, humectants, things like that? It'd really suck to give them a treat that ends up making them sick or killing them.

Additionally, if anyone knows a good rate to feed them insects vs sugars, I'd appreciate that. There are very few sources on Sugar Ants, since they're often considered pests (despite being native here), and there aren't many sources on Australian ants in general (and trying to look up local ants is a minefield because there's a fire ant problem currently). Thank you!
It’s great to hear about your interest in ant-keeping and your consideration for their well-being! When it comes to feeding Sugar Ants, or Camponotus consobrinus, it’s important to be cautious with human foods as some can indeed be harmful to ants.

Foods and Chemicals to Avoid:

Borax (sodium tetraborate): Often used in homemade ant killers, it’s toxic to ants.
Diatomaceous earth (silicon dioxide): While not a food, it’s a common pest control substance that kills ants by drying them out.
Citrus fruits: These can be repellent or harmful to ants due to their strong scents and acidity.
Strong scents and spices, bitter foods: These are generally avoided by ants and can be repellent or harmful.

Feeding Rate for Insects vs Sugars: A balanced diet for Sugar Ants should include both proteins and sugars. Proteins are crucial for the growth and development of larvae, while sugars provide energy for the workers. A suggested feeding schedule could be to provide protein-rich food like live insects or protein jelly twice a week, and sweets like organic honey or fruit on alternate days.

Human Foods Safe for Ants:

Sweets: Candies, maple syrup, and peanut butter can be safe in moderation.
Fruits: Small amounts of fruits like grapes or bananas can be offered.

princet

Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:24 pm

Thank you <3

yvonne910rhodes

Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:07 pm

yvonne910rhodes wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:08 am
princet wrote:
Within the next few years or so, I'm planning on keeping Sugar Ants, Camponotus Consobrinus. While of course I will regularly feed them a normal diet, for occasional treats I thought it might be fun (for me) and enriching (for the ants) to sometimes get them some sugary human foods that they're infamous for seeking out. Like, give them a candy cane on Christmas or a spoonful of cake on my birthday sorta thing. https://www.my-milestonecard.com

It’s great to hear about your interest in ant-keeping and your consideration for their well-being! When it comes to feeding Sugar Ants, or Camponotus consobrinus, it’s important to be cautious with human foods as some can indeed be harmful to ants.

Foods and Chemicals to Avoid:

Borax (sodium tetraborate): Often used in homemade ant killers, it’s toxic to ants.
Diatomaceous earth (silicon dioxide): While not a food, it’s a common pest control substance that kills ants by drying them out.
Citrus fruits: These can be repellent or harmful to ants due to their strong scents and acidity.
Strong scents and spices, bitter foods: These are generally avoided by ants and can be repellent or harmful.

Feeding Rate for Insects vs Sugars: A balanced diet for Sugar Ants should include both proteins and sugars. Proteins are crucial for the growth and development of larvae, while sugars provide energy for the workers. A suggested feeding schedule could be to provide protein-rich food like live insects or protein jelly twice a week, and sweets like organic honey or fruit on alternate days.

Human Foods Safe for Ants:

Sweets: Candies, maple syrup, and peanut butter can be safe in moderation.
Fruits: Small amounts of fruits like grapes or bananas can be offered.
Is this solution worked for you or not?