What do carpenter ants eat?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Mohammadmacapundag

What do carpenter ants eat?

Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:30 pm

What foods can Carpenter Ants eat?
I tried feeding them hotdog but they seem to lose interest in it very quickly I also game them fish they completly ignored it! Idk what to feed them I already fed them honey but I can't keep feeding them honey! I'm trying to feed them meat so that the larva will grow. What food can I feed Carpenter Ants?
Currently Founding...
Carpenter Ant Queen (Camponotus Pennsylvanicus)6-9 Eggs, 2-3 larva, and 6-10 Workers

antperson24

Re: What do carpenter ants eat?

Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:06 am

Mohammadmacapundag wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:30 pm
What foods can Carpenter Ants eat?
I tried feeding them hotdog but they seem to lose interest in it very quickly I also game them fish they completly ignored it! Idk what to feed them I already fed them honey but I can't keep feeding them honey! I'm trying to feed them meat so that the larva will grow. What food can I feed Carpenter Ants?
They are probably getting ready for hibernation. My colony likes crickets; you could try that.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

kevand

Re: What do carpenter ants eat?

Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:57 am

Carpenter ants are primarily omnivorous, meaning they eat a variety of foods including insects, sweets, meats, and fats. While honey is a good source of carbohydrates, it's also important to provide them with https://www.dg-customerfirst.com protein rich foods for larval development. Try offering them protein sources like cooked eggs, chicken, or other cooked meats. Additionally, you can provide them with small pieces of fruits or vegetables for added nutrition.