Camponotus sansabeanus i need help

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

loveants1341

Camponotus sansabeanus i need help

Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:25 pm

i got Camponotus sansabeanus queen from gan farmer she come 7 days ago now and they got nectar on day 1 and from then they did not eat i placed smashed up mealworms, honey, nectar, they only will drink water they do have about 6 eggs ( i know thats not what it is but im new to ant keeping sorry) the queen is always next to the eggs and i see her getting drinks daily i ordered a 5 watt heating pad is this good for Camponotus sansabeanus or dose it need to be higher? What can i give them for protein ? or dose the queen still have milk soup in her she still feeding the workers (4) and the 6 or so eggs any info to why they are not wanting to eat the honey or anything els that i can see beside getting drinks from water id love to hear the reason why and your info to this thank you so much for helping me and thank you so much for taking your time and helping me

i looked to see if i can find any info to why this could be i cant seem to find one they are in a 74 degrees room they have a rag under them and above them and i did move them into a small house the gan farmer told me to move it in there as the ants pooped and made the water dirty agin thank you for helping me

antperson24

Re: Camponotus sansabeanus i need help

Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:57 am

loveants1341 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:25 pm
i got Camponotus sansabeanus queen from gan farmer she come 7 days ago now and they got nectar on day 1 and from then they did not eat i placed smashed up mealworms, honey, nectar, they only will drink water they do have about 6 eggs ( i know thats not what it is but im new to ant keeping sorry) the queen is always next to the eggs and i see her getting drinks daily i ordered a 5 watt heating pad is this good for Camponotus sansabeanus or dose it need to be higher? What can i give them for protein ? or dose the queen still have milk soup in her she still feeding the workers (4) and the 6 or so eggs any info to why they are not wanting to eat the honey or anything els that i can see beside getting drinks from water id love to hear the reason why and your info to this thank you so much for helping me and thank you so much for taking your time and helping me

i looked to see if i can find any info to why this could be i cant seem to find one they are in a 74 degrees room they have a rag under them and above them and i did move them into a small house the gan farmer told me to move it in there as the ants pooped and made the water dirty agin thank you for helping me
Heating cables/pads are very good for Camponotus. Small colonies don’t eat a lot of food, just feed them once a week or so.
I hope this helps you! :)
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

loveants1341

Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:17 am

Heating cables/pads are very good for Camponotus. Small colonies don’t eat a lot of food, just feed them once a week or so.
[/quote]

so its ok if they are not wanting to eat i looked in there 2 workers was getting nectar when i was going to bed you think i should get a cricket leg ? im going to get one just to see if they will want it and is 5 watt ok for them or do they need a higher watt ?

antperson24

Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:06 am

antperson24 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:17 am

loveants1241: so its ok if they are not wanting to eat i looked in there 2 workers was getting nectar when i was going to bed you think i should get a cricket leg ? im going to get one just to see if they will want it and is 5 watt ok for them or do they need a higher watt ?

antperson24: My Camponotus colonies always gladly take cricket, that would be good. I use 5 watts for my ants, and that is perfect.

loveants1341

Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:58 pm

antperson24: My Camponotus colonies always gladly take cricket, that would be good. I use 5 watts for my ants, and that is perfect.
[/quote]

dose yours eat mealworms ? and thanks ill get one and ill see just smash it up or stick it in there ? and thanks for helping me what about honey mine has not ate any honey what so ever

loveants1341

Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:08 pm

loveants1341 wrote:
dose yours eat mealworms ? and thanks ill get one and ill see just smash it up or stick it in there ? and thanks for helping me what about honey mine has not ate any honey what so ever
[/quote]

i got some fruit flies as well and a baby cricket legs what one should i put in to see and should i let the fruit flies go in there alive or try to smash it as it is pretty small i know they like fruit flies right ? thats what i read about them

antperson24

Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:59 pm

loveants1341 wrote:
loveants1341 wrote:
i got some fruit flies as well and a baby cricket legs what one should i put in to see and should i let the fruit flies go in there alive or try to smash it as it is pretty small i know they like fruit flies right ? thats what i read about them
[/quote]

I have never tried mealworms, but mine will eat fruit flies and honey. Oh and by the way I meant 15 watt, but I think the one you bought should work. Kill/smash everything you feed them.

loveants1341

Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:03 pm

antperson24 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:59 pm
loveants1341 wrote:
loveants1341 wrote:
I have never tried mealworms, but mine will eat fruit flies and honey. Oh and by the way I meant 15 watt, but I think the one you bought should work. Kill/smash everything you feed them.
[/quote]

i put the fruit flie in there alive they killed it and have not ate it yet as of now but they are guarding the queen

loveants1341

Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:39 pm

should i put the cricket leg in there as well or just leave it be with the fruit flie? ok the fruit fly is gone now should i put one more in there to see if they will eat it but dead ?

loveants1341

Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:55 pm

loveants1341 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:39 pm
should i put the cricket leg in there as well or just leave it be with the fruit flie? ok the fruit fly is gone now should i put one more in there to see if they will eat it
how can u kill a fruit fly i temp to smash it with my finger but it made it way to small for them to eat it any tips on how to take out a fruit flie would be good thank you for helping me