Camponotus sansabeanus i need help

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

loveants1341

Re: Camponotus sansabeanus i need help

Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:02 am

i put 2 more fruit flies in there then they took them back to their nest then i wanted to put one more in there as im not sure how many i should put in there im new to this im not sure how much they eat how can u tell ?

well 4 more came out into the food place of the ants well i did not know how to get 3 out so i left them in there well 2 hrs later they are all gone my guess back to their nest i know i should not feed them for a bit of time now that should be good for them for how long u think ?

about 8 fruit flies total the queen i saw come out to the feeding place and took a fruit flie back into the nest i didn't think the queens do that (the first fruit flie i put in there ) is this as she wanted the protein to help make more eggs ?

not sure im sure there could me many reasons why she come out and got the fruit flie herself i was thinking queen ants stay behind and make eggs only and eat im learning things all the time from her again thanks for reading and taking your time and helping me out

antperson24

Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:41 am

loveants1341 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:02 am
i put 2 more fruit flies in there then they took them back to their nest then i wanted to put one more in there as im not sure how many i should put in there im new to this im not sure how much they eat how can u tell ?

well 4 more came out into the food place of the ants well i did not know how to get 3 out so i left them in there well 2 hrs later they are all gone my guess back to their nest i know i should not feed them for a bit of time now that should be good for them for how long u think ?

about 8 fruit flies total the queen i saw come out to the feeding place and took a fruit flie back into the nest i didn't think the queens do that (the first fruit flie i put in there ) is this as she wanted the protein to help make more eggs ?

not sure im sure there could me many reasons why she come out and got the fruit flie herself i was thinking queen ants stay behind and make eggs only and eat im learning things all the time from her again thanks for reading and taking your time and helping me out
I freeze my fruit flies to kill them (just so that it is easier for the ants to get). I think you could give them the cricket leg, then they should be good for about a week. The queen has never come out in my Camponotus colony, but with a different small colony I had, the queen would come out. As the colony grows large she wont come out.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

loveants1341

Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:18 am

I freeze my fruit flies to kill them (just so that it is easier for the ants to get). I think you could give them the cricket leg, then they should be good for about a week. The queen has never come out in my Camponotus colony, but with a different small colony I had, the queen would come out. As the colony grows large she wont come out.
[/quote]

oh okay thanks yeah i was thinking it was from being small in worker size thank you for all of your help any tips i should know or anything i should watch out for also they have 5 fruit flies in a pile do you think they will eat them ? also one fruit flie was right next to the queen and her eggs

loveants1341

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:20 am

hmm looks like the queen moved all of her eggs and herself to the spot where all the fruit flies was at hmm why did she move you know why or have any idea to why she would move her eggs and herself to the spot where they put all of the fruit flies at ?

loveants1341

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:40 am

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/mailboxes/@.id==VjN-GazsWMCPz2yXXHwAfJA8VdUNlacngFHY4OfeM7yBIVs_qSzemUddpr0-ETP7zNtE7l6wci2yk3n1_sI555vflQ/messages/@.id==AIvR_91WKbE4YxommgJZkMIbQCk/content/parts/@.id==2/thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2looks like more eggs in the different spot she moved up they was where the water comes out but now in the front would she lay eggs in 2 different spots being a small ant colony still ? the link above is what they are in now

loveants1341

Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:30 pm

shes back to the first spot with the first set of eggs but she did leave something behind from where she left off at not sure what it is its kinda hard to see what its in there ( shes back to the water spot now) will they lay larva or whatever where they put the extra food at ?? its more then the fruit flies there but not sure if its poop or what in there but if its poop why was the queen there for few hrs so many things im wondering about and do u think i should order a 15 watt heating pad will that help them out better ?

antperson24

Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:28 pm

I think they will eat the fruit flies. The queen some times just moves. Your link says: {"error":{"code":"EC-4008","requestId":"4a91a470-39eb-11ed-c000-de2af69e467b"}} whatever that means :roll:
I don't think you need a 15 watt heating pad.

loveants1341

Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:46 pm

antperson24 wrote:
I think they will eat the fruit flies. The queen some times just moves. Your link says: {"error":{"code":"EC-4008","requestId":"4a91a470-39eb-11ed-c000-de2af69e467b"}} whatever that means :roll:
well shoot its a sqaure box with a smaller box in the side of it and dose she move to lay more eggs in a dif spot ? as the spot she moved to was the extra fruit flies and now it dont look like any fruit flie is in there at all how much do they eat ? or is it random depends on how hungry they are ? thank you so much for helping me out alot sorry im new to this

antperson24

Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:42 pm

loveants1341 wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
well shoot its a sqaure box with a smaller box in the side of it and dose she move to lay more eggs in a dif spot ? as the spot she moved to was the extra fruit flies and now it dont look like any fruit flie is in there at all how much do they eat ? or is it random depends on how hungry they are ? thank you so much for helping me out alot sorry im new to this
I don't know why the queen sometimes moves, and feed them a cricket or 15 fruit flies a week.

loveants1341

Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:34 pm

antperson24 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:42 pm
loveants1341 wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
I don't know why the queen sometimes moves, and feed them a cricket or 15 fruit flies a week.

split up or all at once ? with the fruit flies