Camponotus fedtschenkoi first feeding?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Skyshadow3246

Camponotus fedtschenkoi first feeding?

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:08 am

My camponotus fedtschenkoi had her first worker sometime this week (Saturday is ant check day so sometime between last Sat and now). The new little one is busy helping with the brood and larvae.

How soon should I feed? Do I need to wait till another worker or two appear? I figure a tiny cut of mealworm and a pinpoint of honey.

Also, my queen has all her little ones right next to the cotton (over the heat). What's the easiest way to feed without stress? Should I attach a small outworld?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Camponotus fedtschenkoi first feeding?

Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:58 am

Skyshadow3246 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:08 am
My camponotus fedtschenkoi had her first worker sometime this week (Saturday is ant check day so sometime between last Sat and now). The new little one is busy helping with the brood and larvae.

How soon should I feed? Do I need to wait till another worker or two appear? I figure a tiny cut of mealworm and a pinpoint of honey.

Also, my queen has all her little ones right next to the cotton (over the heat). What's the easiest way to feed without stress? Should I attach a small outworld?
Wait for the workers exoskeleton to harden and at least 3 to hatch. Yes, an outworld would be optimal, but you can feed them directly in the tube, but they may store trash on the water Cotten. I suggest feeding them fruit, sugar water, or nectar first, so that the workers have energy to forage and the queen has energy to start making more eggs.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…