Dry Ant Food Temporary Substitutes

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

kykel09

Dry Ant Food Temporary Substitutes

Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:04 pm

Hey everyone.

Simple question here. I'm going out of town for a week and I have a couple of colonies of various sizes but nothing larger than 100 workers.
Phiedole bicarinata
Camponotus nearcticus
Tetramorium immigrans

Does anyone know any potential dry food substitutes these species can sustain off of for about a week?

Not worried about sugars and I plan to throw a whole mealworm into their outworlds for some extra gut loading before I step out but my concern is them going a whole week without a significant protein (Sunday to the following Saturday). I've heard of dry dog food, ground nuts and such over the years but not sure of the success of these. I've tried fish food before but no success there. My phiedole tend to be the easiest of the bunch as I've seen them eat ground up almond before. I ordered some protein jelly but shipping times have been crazy and I'm not sure if it'll arrive in time. I'll even take a recipe for protein jelly if anyone has ever figured one out from scratch before.

Thanks in advance,
Kykel
Charlottesville, VA GAN Farmer
Seller of 3D Printed Nests

Owns:
Camponotus nearcticus
Camponotus castaneous
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Phiedole bicarinata
Tetramorium immigrans
Forelius pruinosis

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Dry Ant Food Temporary Substitutes

Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:54 am

kykel09 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:04 pm
Hey everyone.

Simple question here. I'm going out of town for a week and I have a couple of colonies of various sizes but nothing larger than 100 workers.
Phiedole bicarinata
Camponotus nearcticus
Tetramorium immigrans

Does anyone know any potential dry food substitutes these species can sustain off of for about a week?

Not worried about sugars and I plan to throw a whole mealworm into their outworlds for some extra gut loading before I step out but my concern is them going a whole week without a significant protein (Sunday to the following Saturday). I've heard of dry dog food, ground nuts and such over the years but not sure of the success of these. I've tried fish food before but no success there. My phiedole tend to be the easiest of the bunch as I've seen them eat ground up almond before. I ordered some protein jelly but shipping times have been crazy and I'm not sure if it'll arrive in time. I'll even take a recipe for protein jelly if anyone has ever figured one out from scratch before.

Thanks in advance,
Kykel
Pheidole species will sometimes accept bird seed… you could throw a superworm into the outworlds… my Camponotus Floridanus are good with 2 superworms a week…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…