Solenopsis Invicta transfer and watering

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Carlevan2840

Solenopsis Invicta transfer and watering

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:32 pm

How many workers of Solenopsis Invicta do I need before transferring to a formicarium? Also, after transfer, does my queen need direct access to water or will the workers bring her what she needs? Thanks in advance!

AM1C39

Re: Solenopsis Invicta transfer and watering

Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:52 am

Maybe wait until you have 20-30 workers. Could you send a picture of the nest you plan on moving them into? The queen does not need a direct acces to water, the workers will bring it to her.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Carlevan2840

Re: Solenopsis Invicta transfer and watering

Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:12 am

My brain is dumbing out....I had to get a new phone and haven't re- download "that app" (my brain dumbing out...I can't remember the name of it) you need to post pics but my colony is probably 75-100 (not including a huge pile of eggs, larvae and pupae) and I'm transferring to an Uncle Milton ant farm which has 4 nipples to connect 1/4" tubing. One will go to an outworld, one to a fresh water test tube and one to a sugar water test tube. The 4th will not be used... yet. Leaving that one open to add more room in the future. So can the sand in the ant farm itself remain dry if I attach a fresh water test tube setup or does it need to be moist for eggs/ larvae? Sorry it took a while to respond! I'm not very technologically savvy and somehow I missed this response!