Don't know what to feed my queen ant with eggs

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Abbody

Don't know what to feed my queen ant with eggs

Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:58 am

So I am a beginner ant keeper and i caught a queen ant. She has laid eggs after the day i put her in a test tube. It's been a week and she has been laying more eggs. Only problem is i don't know how to feed those eggs which will soon turn to larvae. I put boiled egg white and a tiny part of mortadella but it rots too quick. I don't really have feeders yet so i can't give her good protein. What do i do?

shadowdogg00

Re: Don't know what to feed my queen ant with eggs

Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:41 pm

You don't have to feed your queen until the first workers arrive.. she will digest her wing muscles she no longer needs to feed her 1st brood. Once they arrive you can give a little sugar water and a protein. Check your local pet shop for mealworms you can cut up or maybe wingless fruit flies

Antloverhuman

Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:41 am

Abbody wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:58 am
So I am a beginner ant keeper and i caught a queen ant. She has laid eggs after the day i put her in a test tube. It's been a week and she has been laying more eggs. Only problem is i don't know how to feed those eggs which will soon turn to larvae. I put boiled egg white and a tiny part of mortadella but it rots too quick. I don't really have feeders yet so i can't give her good protein. What do i do?
Do you know what species she is? If she is a semi claustral species you will have to feed her, but if she is fully claustral, you don't need to feed her
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

Abbody

Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:17 am

Here is details about the queen ant so anyone can tell if it's semi or fully claustral. I don't really know what species it is but by searching it up i am assuming it's some type of pheidole or something else. Its thorax is slightly bigger than its head, and its gaster is large. Found her in the desert of Saudi Arabia.

Antloverhuman

Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:12 am

Well i would assume she is fully claustral. Then you don't need to feed her anything until the workers arrive. But once you get workers, you can feed her anything like boiled eggs or meat(raw or boiled), other insects etc
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:31 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:12 am
Well i would assume she is fully claustral. Then you don't need to feed her anything until the workers arrive. But once you get workers, you can feed her anything like boiled eggs or meat(raw or boiled), other insects etc
You may also feed her food when she gets larvae if you want to be sure they are fed
When you accidentally reply to yourself…