Can I feed my ants this?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Can I feed my ants this?

Mon May 30, 2022 7:49 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:49 am
Trust me, no one cares about bees or butterflies. They care about two particular insects,

Wasps

The Red Imported Fire Ant

Wasps burrow their head down into hummingbird feeders, and people don’t like wasp because they can be aggressive…

Fire ants… they make long trails to the feeder to kill any insect that lands, and also enjoy the feeder. It’s not just fire ants(Yes I am defending them), it is any sort of ant that can come in mass numbers. I know C. Floridanus can, but usually they stick to EFN’s.

Anyway, someone wrote a page on how to keep ants off(If any of you have this problem)

https://birdwatchinghq.com/ants-off-hummingbird-feeder/
Some of those tips will work. But the moats are a bit wierd. Some fire ants know how to float and even build rafts / bridges so that's less efficient. As for the Mint I'm not sure if it works. Didn't AC do a test with mint / peppermint?
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon May 30, 2022 9:40 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 7:49 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:49 am
Trust me, no one cares about bees or butterflies. They care about two particular insects,

Wasps

The Red Imported Fire Ant

Wasps burrow their head down into hummingbird feeders, and people don’t like wasp because they can be aggressive…

Fire ants… they make long trails to the feeder to kill any insect that lands, and also enjoy the feeder. It’s not just fire ants(Yes I am defending them), it is any sort of ant that can come in mass numbers. I know C. Floridanus can, but usually they stick to EFN’s.

Anyway, someone wrote a page on how to keep ants off(If any of you have this problem)

https://birdwatchinghq.com/ants-off-hummingbird-feeder/
Some of those tips will work. But the moats are a bit wierd. Some fire ants know how to float and even build rafts / bridges so that's less efficient. As for the Mint I'm not sure if it works. Didn't AC do a test with mint / peppermint?
Also, I didn’t even read it, I just posted the link that people have problems :lol:

People: Steps on Odontomachus worker
*Crunch*
Odontomachus worker: Gets right back up due to exoskeleton being strong

Using yellow crazy ants.I do know it works for some native ants. The moat works for invicta(sometimes) as the workers drown and don’t end up coming together or the ants just walk under water. I have seen it happen(I was swarmed digging up a colony and they wouldn’t come off)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Tue May 31, 2022 1:36 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:40 am
Also, I didn’t even read it, I just posted the link that people have problems :lol:

People: Steps on Odontomachus worker
*Crunch*
Odontomachus worker: Gets right back up due to exoskeleton being strong

Using yellow crazy ants.I do know it works for some native ants. The moat works for invicta(sometimes) as the workers drown and don’t end up coming together or the ants just walk under water. I have seen it happen(I was swarmed digging up a colony and they wouldn’t come off)
Just remembered adding a bit of soap (dish washing or other) breaks the water tension. That might help too.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.