Carpenter ants

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

mkd125

Carpenter ants

Fri May 06, 2022 12:37 am

I am new to ant keeping. I'm trying to get this colony established for my grandson. I have between 20-25 workers. It has taken me at least 8 months to get to this point. I have no idea how much to feed them. I give them about a dozen fruit flies in the morning and they take them into the nest and they start feeding. My real concern is that they don't take the excess back out they are leaving them in the nest.

How much and how often should I feed them?
Thanks,
Debbie

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Carpenter ants

Fri May 06, 2022 7:42 am

mkd125 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:37 am
I am new to ant keeping. I'm trying to get this colony established for my grandson. I have between 20-25 workers. It has taken me at least 8 months to get to this point. I have no idea how much to feed them. I give them about a dozen fruit flies in the morning and they take them into the nest and they start feeding. My real concern is that they don't take the excess back out they are leaving them in the nest.

How much and how often should I feed them?
Thanks,
Debbie
Hello Debbie,

It's great to read that you prepare this colony for your grandson. Do you know by chance which species of carpenter ants you have? For example: camponotus herculeanus.

If you don't know, feel free to post some pictures in our Identification Center so someone can identify the species.
For the question on how much you should feed them, you could try offering some larger insects like mealworms. You can offer them additionally to the fruit flies once per week and if you see that they still don't bring out their waste, you can offer them more often. Mealworms can survive inside of your fridge at around 6°C for about a year. Some of them may die at random which can happen. You will know if they are black or very stiff and don't move after a minute outside the fridge.

Camponodus colonies generally take time to grow in numbers as they are bigger than most ants species around the globe. It can take them 2-3 months to grow from egg to worker.

About the excess they have, it could be that they need more food or they don't feel safe enough to bring out their garbage.

Please let us know if you have further questions for us. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

mkd125

Fri May 06, 2022 9:35 am

The ants are camponotus pennsylvanicus.

In regards to the meal worms should I cut them into smaller pieces or put them in whole and alive? Are you saying that I should only feed them once a week not everyday?

Thanks for your help.
Debbie

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri May 06, 2022 2:46 pm

mkd125 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:35 am
The ants are camponotus pennsylvanicus.

In regards to the meal worms should I cut them into smaller pieces or put them in whole and alive? Are you saying that I should only feed them once a week not everyday?

Thanks for your help.
Debbie
Actually, no need to worry! I have a fully visible Camponotus nest and it seems the larvae will even eat the wings! Also, if you won’t be there for a bit, they are great foods ants can store without molding. Mine last 4-5 days without being discarded, which is pretty decent for a piece of food. Also, you can try feeding them liquid foods like protein jelly if it is really bothering you they don’t bring waste out.(Note they should like mpbut may not eat mealworms or may need to get used to them so if you give them some and they don’t go for them, wait)

On topic, always kill prey larger then fruit flies. Otherwise, they may harm the workers or stress the colony. Also, once every 3-4 days with mealworms(Cut up) is fine, every 1-2 days with fruit flies is also fine.
Hope this helps!
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

mkd125

Fri May 06, 2022 9:23 pm

Thank you so much f9r your help.