Oecophylla longinoda Diet?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

BugMansLife

Oecophylla longinoda Diet?

Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:47 am

Hello all,

I need some advice as on what to feed my Oecophylla longinoda?
I know most people keep O smaragdina, but the diet for them should serve as a very good guideline to what I can feed my O longinoda.

They have constant access to fresh sugar water that I replace daily to ensure that it stays fresh. As for protein, I have been giving them small cockroaches, but they do not seem to be getting the right nutrients from them as they keep on eating their pupae and eggs. Thus I am in serious need of some advice on what to feed the colony. I have also tried a plethora of other insects without any success. They did take flies once, but there after they ignore any flies I try go give them.

Is there any DIY jelly food or any other protein source I can try? I have read in some scientific articles that one can feed them some canned fish, but I am not sure what canned fish to try.

Please help me.

SYUTEO

Re: Oecophylla longinoda Diet?

Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:05 am

Oecophylla will eat just about anything, you can try some boiled egg, raw or cooked meat or other insects like mealworms and crickets. You can also buy protein jelly online or make some yourself.